Stalling GTV - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Stalling GTV

My 2 litre GTV keeps stalling on me at lights / junctions etc. It does it for a day o so and then is ok for a few days when it does it again.The idle speed is ok.

Anyone had anything similar - and what do I do to cure ?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
I had a similiarish problem with my GTV. Only seemed to happen on longish journeys though and my revs were fairly erratic. Eventually tracked down to a faulty lambda sensor. Cost about 120 ish to have replaced.

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS

Same thing started to happen on my '97. Mechanics couldn't find an explanation for some time.

Eventually problem got so bad that they found the source, Idle Speed Stabilser (something like that) was knackered apparently.

Replaced it and never a problem again

(touch wood, hope that wasn't the kiss of death). rant
The same thing happened on my 99 GTV 2.0 TS about 2 years ago. It happened twice. The revs just dropped and the car kept stalling (didn't matter if the engine was cold or hot). The problem happened once then 2 or 3 days later it happened again and has never re-appeared.

I don't know much about engines but I wonder if this is an early indication of Lambda Probe failure. I have seen somewhere that if a Lambda probe fails the engine goes into "limp home" mode. Maybe I have been running for 2 years with a bad Lambda!!

The engine lost its smoothness months ago. The lambda has been diagnosed faulty and is being changed in the next couple of weeks.

My symptoms were:

Car stationary, in neutral, engine warm, try and hold the revs at 1800 RPM, then build the revs up to 2000 RPM slowly (try this 3 or four times). My engine used to stutter/vibrate slightly and the revs would hunt between 700 RPM and 2000RPM before settling.

Hope this helps.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

gtv , stalling