Spider boot badge photo guide - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 4Likes

kfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Trading View Post
You don't need to remove the catch, just turn the black plastic 'thing' & the lock assembly will come out ok.

Tip: push the black plastic 'thing' clockwise using the large part at approx 3 o'clock position.

I've just swapped 2 bootlids between 2 GTV's & easily removed the locks in situ without removing the catches.

Clive
Possibly not but it does allow a little more room to manoeuvre - for the sake of undoing a couple of bolts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Thumbs Up Brilliant thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungfuPanda View Post
Possibly not but it does allow a little more room to manoeuvre - for the sake of undoing a couple of bolts
I think this thread is very helpful, especially your pictures, I was just adding to it.

No chance of breaking the plastic catch cover or dropping/losing the bolts if you don't have to remove it.

Clive
kfp

Quote:
I think this thread is very helpful, especially your pictures, I was just adding to it.

No chance of breaking the plastic catch cover or dropping/losing the bolts if you don't have to remove it.

Clive
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound argumentative Clive. You have far more experience than me as I've only done the one

AO Member

County: Kent
Just changed mine and the its upside down. Is it the wronge part number 60779250. It can only go one way but the pin for the clip on the old one is at the bottom and its on the top of the new one. Have i lost it or what
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Mine needs doing badly,its nearly worn away. Are the quality of the badges all the same or are some better than others ?? where's the best place to buy??
AO Silver Member

Wrong bag!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tancho View Post
Just changed mine and the its upside down. Is it the wronge part number 60779250. It can only go one way but the pin for the clip on the old one is at the bottom and its on the top of the new one. Have i lost it or what
part no's ok, so either a 'faulty' badge or 1 for another model Alfa that pivots from the top which has been bagged incorrectly?

Clive
AO Member

Hi clive I guessed as much they are ordering me another one. So i will have to re do it but is easy to do. I hope you are well. I am trying to get my cam belt done and tensioners and water pump i keep getting costs of 700 + is this right ?
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
I think Autolusso do the cambelt change for quite a bit cheaper than 700 quid, tancho.
AO Member

Thanks alfapash i will look into it. The badges are ok but plastic now so not as good as the old one. I am still waiting for a replacment badge. The main dealer i got it from seem to think it's a bad batch as they got another one in for me and its the same again. So mine is still on upside down at the moment.
AO Member

County: South Yorkshirem
Had belts,tensioners,variator & water pump replaced ,local garage 486 inc VAT etc.

Garage rates do seem cheaper in the north.
AO Member

Got new badge now and its fitted it took minutes once you know how. Cambelt still needs doing but it can wait i think. I have loved this sunny weather been out all weekend in the spider i love it.
AO Member

County: South Yorkshirem
I got a boot badge off a scrapped 156, that pivots from the top, Spider from the bottom
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tancho View Post
Hi clive I guessed as much they are ordering me another one. So i will have to re do it but is easy to do. I hope you are well. I am trying to get my cam belt done and tensioners and water pump i keep getting costs of 700 + is this right ?
Sorry I missed this post.

As someone has already said-Autolusso will do you a good deal but call me nearer the time you want it done-which is asap.

Glad you're enjoying it.

Clive
AO Member

Will do clive i am also looking at getting a full service to. So when i am ready i will call you 1st. One thing i should say to you is it's the most highly polished alfa around. Going to duxford in it this weekend.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Just replaced the boot badge on my spider with out trouble!

Thank you for the photo guide, very helpful

Kind regards Andy
AO Silver Member

Apology

Quote:
You don't need to remove the catch, just turn the black plastic 'thing' & the lock assembly will come out ok.

Tip: push the black plastic 'thing' clockwise using the large part at approx 3 o'clock position.

I've just swapped 2 bootlids between 2 GTV's & easily removed the locks in situ without removing the catches.

Clive
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungfuPanda View Post
I changed my 1st Spider boot badge today, having only done GTVs before, & quickly realised that you are right. There is less room due to the sloping rear angle of the Spider's boot so I had to remove the catch!

Clive
AO Member

County: West Midlands
I've just used this guide and it was perfect. The hardest bit was removing the plastic cover without scratching the paintwork. Second hardest part was moving the black catch thing. I used a very light hammer and 'persuader' bar to move it a fraction then using a torch looked to find it had moved just enough for me to wedge a flat bladed screwdriver between it and the post and levered it a bit further apart, then a good thumb push.

The really hard part was finding the flying circlip that leapt 4 feet in the air when I released it and the spring did it's thing! I found it in a bike helmet on top of a wardrobe in the end.

County: Leicestershire
Hi All, i just changed my badge but didnt read up on this thread first ... i have lost the small metal retaining clip which goes right at the end of he stem to hold the spring and plastic ring! i went to dealers today and they dont have the part, any idea where i can get it from?
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
Its called a circlip local motor factors, or if its still inside the boot shut and open until it falls out a drain hole!!

County: Worcestershire
Thanks

Cheers for the tips, although I managed to fit the badge without disconnecting the catch from the linkage arm. This is probably because I am inherently lazy and prone to forgetting which way round things go back together!

Great forum, I'll be back. I've a temperamental soft top to sort out!
AO Member

Really appreciate others taking the time to do this guide. I now have a shiny Alfa badge on the rear, and a lock mechanism that open and shuts as it should. I'm no grease monkey, i have baby soft hands, but managed to get this job done in 45 mins. Biggest amount of time was getting the lock mechanism working again on refit.
AO Silver Member

County: Waikato
Quote:
I changed my 1st Spider boot badge today, having only done GTVs before, & quickly realised that you are right. There is less room due to the sloping rear angle of the Spider's boot so I had to remove the catch!

Clive
When I changed mine (Spider rear badge) a couple of weeks back, I got it out OK without removing the catch - but getting it back in (seated properly) was a real *******. I fought with it for ages reasoning that if it came out, it would go back in... Eventually I removed the catch and the job was MUCH easier!

One little thing to add (didn't see it here, sorry if someone mentioned it) - the end of the spring engages in the original metal badge through a deep hole. On the replacement badge, I had to very gently drill a hole in the plastic backing (obviously, being careful not to drill right through...) AND I also had to trim down the end of the spring using a pair of tinsnips - otherwise the badge wouldn't sit properly. This is probably only a problem when replacing old metal badges (mine was a Ph1).

By the way, if the boot light isn't working, it might be the microswitch on the catch. I replaced mine cheaply (generic mini-microswitch) and now have a working boot light.

-Alex

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'00 GTV V6, '08 FIAT 500, shell and parts for a '71 FIAT 850 Coupe

Last edited by alexGS; 23-01-12 at 22:26.

County: -
how do you replace the lock in the housing

County: Norfolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremyt View Post
how do you replace the lock in the housing
Thanks KungfuPanda and others; just completed the job on my Spider - managed to do it without removing the catch and solenoid wire (scabs now clotting nicely on knuckles as I type).

Jeremyt, I found it easier to remove and later to replace the (outer) lock/badge assembly if, after setting aside the beer supplies and opening the boot, I put the key in the lock and turned it fully anticlockwise (i.e. deadlocked it). I also used some Vaseline on the black clip thingy - but then I tend to do that with everything that's a bit tight at first.

Can this forevermore be known as: "The Vicar's Amendment to the KungfuPanda Badge Fix"?

I'll get my cassock, shall I?

The Vicar

Apres moi, le deluge.
Previous form: 1990 164TS, 1972 Spider 2.0, 1999 GTV 3.0 V6.
Current conviction: Spider 2000 2.0TS Lusso.
A Two-Minute Video That Could Save Your Life
kfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vicar View Post
Can this forevermore be known as: "The Vicar's Amendment to the KungfuPanda Badge Fix"?
I approve this message

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
badge , boot , guide , photo , spider