How to change a gtv alternator - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 04-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cheshire

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GTV

How to change a gtv alternator

Hello all
Don't quite understand why my HOW TO is not being activated on its link in the tech section.
So for those that need it - here it is again
Thanks for pointing this out VOD69

Replace the alternator on a 2.0TS GTV 96/97

If you are reading this you are probably at your wits end with your car.
When my alternator went I can only say that I was confused!
The first sign was that the engine turned over very slowly on startup. The airbag light refused to go off – but the battery light was still on.
I did what any sensible Alfa Owner would do and looked at the forums on this site!
I found lots of stuff about parasitic drains which basically means that your current is being drained from the battery. To check this you need an ammeter. I owned a multi meter that cost 7 quid. This was rubbish and failed to measure anything so I spent some cash on a good one.

It is essential to do at least a few tests BEFORE replacing the alternator because it is not a nice job and can be raving expensive if you have to take it to a mechanic and even worse if you take it to Alfa!
I found that the best test was to remove the battery and FULLY charge it on a bench. With your meter set to DC Voltage see that it reads at least 12.5 volts. If it reads less than 12 volts your battery probably has a knackered cell and will be the cause of your problem!
If all is OK, put the battery back in the car and BEFORE you connect anything up take off the front of your stereo and de activate any alarm system you may have. Whilst you are in the boot check that the boot light is not switched on. When you are sure everything is off connect up the battery and measure again. If it still reads over 12 volts you can be reasonably sure that its not a parasitic drain. Now start the engine and get someone to hold the revs at about 2K. Measure across the battery terminals and if the measurement reads anything up to 14.7 volts its not your alternator. If it reads just over 12 volts or less its going to be the alternator.
Sponsored Links
County: California

Member car:

Toyota Tercel

i been look for info like this ..thanks so much
AO Member
County: Wrexham

Member car:

I'd hate to change one having removed it from the car already, looks a lot like you'd have to remove the whole inlet to get to it, and even then its a pain in the bum!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

alternator , change , gtv