'84 GTV 6 starts and dies - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
'84 GTV 6 starts and dies

I have a '84 GTV 6 that at first did have spark. I put in a pick up coil in the distributor and installed a new ignition amp. I got spark back, but as soon as it starts it just dies. If you pull the coil wire off just far enough to see the spark, but close enough to make it run, you see the spark and then just stops even if you hold it in the crank mode. I took the dist out and had it tested to make sure that the pick up coil was still working. I have looked at the wire diagram and it shows that it has a ignition module. I cannot find this module. I have read some messages
about the airbox plate sticking or the fuel enrichment board having a bad spot in it. I checked the plate and repositioned he board but no luck. If you guys have any thoughts let me know I would appreciate it,
Sponsored Links
Sounds as if the ecu is not making the transition from cold start mode to normal run. I had a similar problem with my 75 2.5L a few years ago. There is a black double relay mounted at the back of the engine bay, near the bonnet catch on the GTV6 I think, from memory this relay switches the injectors and the fuel pump. It is controled by the ECU. I replaced this rlay on my car and it then ran. However a couple of weeks later the problem came back and this time I had to fit a new ECU. That cured the problem for good.

If you should find this is the problem second hand ECU's are quite cheep and should be easy to come by.

I must admit that it took me quite a bit of fiddling with a multimeter and a lot of tracing wires out (not to mention pulling my hair out) before I found the problem.

You can download the wiring diagrams from www.alfa75.com

Good luck!
Thanks for your reply. I did replace that relay and it did not help. Where can I get a computer for it at a resonable price?,
AO Member
People on the 116 series thread maybe able to give you a better idea (as you car would be 116), i belive that this thread is aimed at the 900 series spiders and GTV's.

Just out of curiosity wher is Or is that Oregon?
I could help you out if you were in Australia as i know a lot of people here who could help you.

Otherwise there are heaps of guys in england who do parts for Alfa's of this era and they may be able to help you.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

dies , gtv , starts