TwinSparks got that "Rough" feeling - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
TwinSparks got that "Rough" feeling

My 1999 2.0 litre Twin Spark has started to sound a bit rough. She has covered 68,000 miles and been serviced regularly. I had the variator done at 64k miles, also had the timing belt done at the same time.

There is a distinct ticking noise (tappets?) coming from the back/top of the engine. The exact location of the noise is as follows:

Standing in front of the car looking at the engine. 6 inches to the right of the oil cap and 3 inches towards the back of the car.

The engine also doesn't rev as freely as she once did and sounds a lot rougher when revved.

Strange thing is that she runs rough most of the time BUT - now and again (once or twice a week) she will run as smooth as she once did.

My question is this:

Is this normal on the TwinSpark - after all she has covered 68k miles or can worn tappets be responsible for the symptoms mentioned above.

I would be truly grateful if you could help,

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
i do not have an idea of what this could be, nor am i qualified to evaluate it or anything... but what i would do in such a case before taking it to a mechanic is to flush the engine oil and put in new oil and filter. maybe there is a blockage or something in the tappets.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750GTV 147Lusso

I had something similar on my 145QV (same engine). I couldn't quite fathom out what it was, but it just didn't feel right and had lost that lust for high revs.

Turned out the balancer shaft belt had snapped....
AO Silver Member
County: Kobenhavn

Member car:

156 GTA SW

I would suspect a leaking rocker cover gasket, letting oil fill the sparkplug holes. Maybe the ticking sound is the sparks escaping the plugleads, entering the cylinder head instead of the spark plugs. Loosen the hex screws on the engine cover and inspect for oil or water down there.

AO Member

Member car:

ALFA 155 V6

Its possible that there is a fault on your new variator or that the timing hasnt been set right when the cambelt was done

This could make the engine run badly and if your variator wasnt working properly it might explain why sometimes its ok and others its not

might be worth taking it back to get it checked out

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

feeling , rough , twinsparks