wider tyres for 78 kam tail spider - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 06-05-03 Thread Starter
wider tyres for 78 kam tail spider

could anybody please advise me on wider tyres for my spider restoration project,I will be putting these on 5 1/2" x 14" campagnolo alloys,
also the hub centres for these alloys are totally shot, i've had the alloys coated, and need new centres any help please.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750GTV 147Lusso

Hi Paul
Welcome to AO!!

I don't know the answer to your question, but it's good to see another 145QV driving Yorkshireman on the forum!!
There is a chap called Jamie and the Magic Torch who is a big Spider fan and I am sure he will help. As a general guide, I wouldn't go bigger than 185 on 5.5" rims.

PS Bazza - look another Yorkshireman!!
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

I was just about to complain again, until I saw your PS. laughing
I don't know what's wrong with Cheshire, obviously we're all very quiet and self-effacing, not like all these noisy Yorshiremen.
AO Member
County: Cumbria
I have 185/70-14 on my '71 kamm fitted to 6" Melbers, the tyres came with the wheels. I've seen 195/70's fitted to some which may give better grip at the expense of noise.
Hope that helps a bit. Any tyre place should be able to advise you.
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
I have 185 Fulda tyres on 6" rims too and to be honest I wouldn't go any wider. The 185's give substantially more grip than the original 165's.

On 165's this is a car with great handling but not such good grip. With 185's the grip is up there with modern cars but you can still exploit the handling & control it on the throttle, which is after all where all the fun is.

I'd be worried with too much rubber you'd lose that fun & spoil the handling balance. This is after all 1966 suspension (though damn fine 1966 suspension). And its a car that only weighs just over 1000kg so doesn't need the rubber of todays lardy cars.

The 185 was the widest section fitted as standard to the original alloys so I'd stick to that. Modern 185's have loads more grip than 30 years ago anyway.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

kam , spider , tail , tyres , wider