18" wheels on a Spider - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
18" wheels on a Spider

Hi all,

I have not yet even picked up my Spider (Can't wait until Fri! ), but have been looking at replacing the wheels (see my other post).

I am in a real quandry now as to whether to get 17 or 18" wheels.

Does anyone have 18" wheels on their Spider? Does it make the ride very harsh? I'd especially welcome comments from any driver on British Roads.

Also, any advise on tyres? Make/model/ 205s or 225s?

Sponsored Links
Ah thanks!
That's a brilliant site - just what I was looking for!

Still appreciate comments on the ride quality on 18 inchers though. Thanks.
AO Member
I really think it all depends on the sort of roads you drive on, and the amount of driving you do. I use the Spi every single day, its my daily runabout, and I run 17s. It takes a short while getting accustomed to keeping your eyes open for irregularities on the road, but thats about it. I run 235.40.17 tyres, and I can't complain of the ride (if you want a soft ride buy a Golf!).

Having said that, if you choose 17s, opt for teledials, I feel they're the best suited alloys for the Spi:

However if I wld have chosen the 18in path, I would have opted for a five spoke, perhaps something like this:

'I live my life a quarter-mile at a time...'

sienas look much nicer!
I have 18's on my GTV. I've even had the car lowered on Eibach springs.

I've never ever had any rub from the arches. However, I do have ultra-ultra-ultra low profile tyres... 215/35/18!!!!!

The rolling diameter is about the same as normal.

I would post some photos if I could remember how.

I can't see any reason why a Spide should be any different other than the fact that it will rattle like crazy and everything will fall off due to harsher ride!

If you want a photo, mail me at alexgrabau@hotmail.com
Oh,, and by the way.. i drive on some very nasty New Forest roads all the time...

Without the lowering springs, i wouldn't have an issue but with them,, there are roads that I simply will not be able to drive down and speed-humps are not exactly welcomed!
AO Member
i have 17" on mine with 45.. the ride is harsher..the steering wheel vibrates more and they tramline a bit more.. and english ****ing roads.. well i have broken two alloys on them.. i suspect on 16" with 60-65 they would have survived.. but sod it.. they look better.
Hi,i just bought a zoe yellow spider which has 18" wheels,the tyre size is 225- 40- 18 on michelins which on crappy british roads are ok.they do tram line a bit,but iget that on my 155 with 205-45-16,zender 18" look bloody good to!
regards Dave.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

spider , wheels

« Strut brace | Tyres »