Warranty Woes! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Scott McI
Warranty Woes!

Just thought I'd tell the folks on the forum some of the woes of garage warranty which I'm involved in! Maybe someone can advise and hopefully this doesn't happen to anyone else!

I have just had my GTV MOT'd and it failed for the rear wishbone suspension bushes, to which I automatically took the car up to the warranty garage (a Toyota main dealership!) to find that although I have not owner the car for a full year, my warranty had expired!! The Sales Rep had used a preliminary pick up date to start the warranty, although they never MOT's or serviced the car till 10 days later! Another issue is that they replaced the front wishbones and never checked the rear only a month prior!

As mentioned the garage had started my warranty 10 days before I had picked up and transferred the money for the car! As you can imagine my disgust, I have taken this up with the Sales Manager who I will be waiting on feedback today on the next course of action (unfortunately the Director in on holiday) to get this resolved and my car back on the road.

The only offer so far is for me to pay the price of the parts (approx. £500) and they will drop the price of labour .... listen to this, from £45 to £35 .. What a bargain!!

If anybody else has had any experience of this before - I'd appreciate any info on what you did and the outcome.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Wiltshire

Member car:

Bikes these days

Scott, sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope this does not sound too pessimistic, but I have had many a used car warranty in the past - used to be able to get at trade price - all every single one of them specifically excluded wear and tear items. This exclusion is aimed at brakes, clutch, battery etc, but I am afraid that the warranty company may well claim that suspension bushes are also wear and tear?

All I am trying to say is that even if you do get your warranty reinstated, they may not cover it? If this were the case, might be better to haggle/argue for more of a discount/contribution from the garage you bought the car from.

Perhaps call the warranty company, and ask if it would be covered IF the car were in warranty period??

Hope you get this sorted,

Scott McI
Thanks for the feedback Martin.

The warranty company is adamant that the contract is over - this is because the garage started it early! So in a bid to get the car back on the road, we have come to an agreement:

o The garage waivers all labour expenses.
o We split the price of the parts 50/50.

So I should have the car back on the road tomorrow, with the full rear suspension arms fitted costing me approx. £240 .... which in all seems a fair compromise.

As for warranty and bushes, since Alfa don't sell individual bushes, you need to buy a full arm therefore this can be classed as a warranty item.

AO Member
I had a rear suspension arm (including the bush) changed recently by Alfa Romeo and they tried to get it done under warranty for me. No Luck, the warranty company said that it was not covered.

Just thought I'd let you know.
Scott McI
I had this discussion with the garage in question when asking about the warranty covering the bushes. Although the service guy said since it was part of a larger part i.e. bush is only part of the entire wishbone arm, then we should be able to swing it! (no pun intended!)

This was before they found out that the warranty had expired (their fault!) and had agreed to pay half the repair costs.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

warranty , woes