advice required, Power steering problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
jay w
advice required, Power steering problem

Whilst out tonight i hit a speedbump, or should i say the N/S (left hand) part of the lower strut brace did, there was a pretty big bang....

about a mile down the road the power steering started to make a right old noise, it had emptied the contents of the system

We know whatever has been damaged has been on the left hand of the rack, the leak is from that side of the car

We reckon we have flexed the subframe a little and so either dislodged a pipe or cracked the body of the rack...

has anyone else has anything like this happen? or does anyone want to hazard a guess as to what has happened/broken
Sponsored Links
Hopefully just a pipe problem - can you top-up & check for leakage?
jay w
we have topped it up, well filled the system completely, started the car up and it hoofed the lot out, its too dark to see but it looks like it is coming from the back of the gearbox area
AO Member
County: New South Wales

Member car:

1998 GTV V6

Same thing happened to me a month back - no impact but the two hoses had been rubbing together and when the leak happened it was like yours, i.e. all the fluid lost quickly.

Rip out the induction piping and you will get a better look at the hoses.

My mechanic added some padding between the hoses (a cut up scrap radiator hose) to avoid the same thing happening down the track

Hopefully a relatively cheap fix for you.....
jay w
right got to the bottom of it....

Davo, thanks for the advice, ripped out the induction piping, shoved half a litre of power steering fluid in the bottle, started it up and watched the fluid pour out of a low pressure rubber hose that connects two metal parts of the pipe together.....

Had to strip out the washer bottle, header tank and induction tubing, i have to speak to a company that can supply oil supply hose but i reckon she will be back on the road by the end of the weekend

pics to follow

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

advice , power , problem , required , steering