Uneven Tyre Wear - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 04-04-03 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Uneven Tyre Wear

I (or more correctly my car!) had new tyres fitted yesterday. The front tyres haven’t been on long and had plenty of tread left over most of the tyre but were completely bald along the inside edge.

The garage checked the tracking which apparently was out by 2mm. They’ve reset it but advised me to take it back to Alfa to have the geometry checked.

So – some stupid questions I could do with some help with…

The garage have now reset the tracking so theoretically all should now be OK. Am I right in that the camber can’t be adjusted on the GTV?

I’ve recently had a load of work done under warranty to the front end: new wishbones, shocks, bushes, etc, etc. Is it worth taking the issue of premature tyre wear up with the dealer?

So - Do I bother taking it back to the dealer to be checked? Or do I just trust a tyre fitter who had to ask me what model of Alfa Romeo the car was to set the tracking correctly?!

Thanks for any advice!
(BTW it's a 2001 2.0 GTV)
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

I don't really have any answers, but I can direct you to the following thread that discussed a similar problem. You might want to check out "Tracking, Wheel Allignment, etc." in the 147, 156, 166 GTA Lounge http://www.alfaowner.com/forum/ubb/u...002534#000004,

Also, try a search on the word "camber" you might get a few more useful hits (or at least a better idea of who on this board knows something about the topic).

Good luck with your problem.
AO Silver Member
County: Kobenhavn

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Hi Schrodinger.

There's no such thing as stupid questions, only stupid answers.

To get to the point; Camber cant be adjusted, as far as I know. If the toe was out 2 mm, that wont harm the tyres in the short run, but will increase wear on the inside, but it wont show for at least 10.000 Kms.

What makes me wonder here, is the fact that you had your lower arm s replaced. The garage ought to make a fourwheel allignment when they change major suspension components. So either they didnt, or your tyre fitters gear or data is wrong.

Better have a chat with your dealer.

If you don't mind me asking, why did they fit new bushes and shocks to your car ?

(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 08-04-03 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Thanks Hoygaard and Toronto

That confirms my feeling that I need to take this up with my ex-dealer who did most of the work. Oh well! deep breath, this is going to be painful… I do think some dealers are deliberately useless so you lose the will to argue any more!

The work was done as the car has had a knocking from the front for quite a while. The dealer kept replacing seemingly random bits of suspension and other brackets which didn’t make a blind bit of difference. After nine visits I changed to a new dealer who replaced the FNS shock and cured all.

The new dealer also commented that there were a couple of brackets missing off the exhaust which I’ve already paid to have changed by the previous garage (I trust the new garage on this one).

Needless to say I’m not best pleased with the old garage but they’ve now lost the Alfa franchise and aren’t interested it putting right previous mistakes at all – there are still a couple of other things they’ve tinkered with and are now worse than when the car went in. I really doubt they did fourwheel alignment, but I’ll ask!

Anyway – thanks all for your advice

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

tyre , uneven , wear