GTV alternator - bearings or new unit? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
GTV alternator - bearings or new unit?

As the title suggests I have seem to have a squeaky alternator. It's my own diagnosis using a length of tube to locate the noise.

A couple of months ago I had the cam belt, tensioners, etc replaced along with the water pump (hence i don't believe it's these). The garage used all of the locking tools, so a good job!! He told me that the aux belt, tensioner and pulley also could do with replacing. Being a semi-keen home mechanic i have changed all of these bits myself.

However....... there is something on the aux belt system that is still causing a sqeak and i seem to have narrowed it down to the alternator (rear lower pulley). If i back the tension off the belt slightly using a spanner on the tensioner it goes away. Likewise if i drive for a bit it goes away.

My question is can i replace just the pulley to stop the squeak, as the alternator charges and seems to be working ok electrically or is it a duff tensioner?? I have heard the alternator replace is a 'mare.

Last edited by Nomis; 24-06-09 at 09:46.
Sponsored Links
Also realised that since fitting the front component speakers with passive crossovers I have a rev dependant electrical humm through one side. Is this, as well as the sqeak, leaning towards my alternator may be on it's way out?
anyone got any ideas? or places to get a cheap one of the internet?

I think i may have a go at replacing it. Would like to remove the idea it may be the tensioner though.
AO Member
County: Bucks

Member car:

Yeah, squeaking/squeal is the first sign, especially after an aux belt change which will mean the belt will have no slack in it. Mine siezed, which stalls the engine.

Exchange/ Replacement is the solution, I should warn you it is a PIG of a job. Cost me 300 all in from A4A

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

alternator , bearings , gtv , unit