Radiator Leak - GTV - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 21-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cork

Member car:

GTV 2.0

Radiator Leak - GTV

Hey Guys!

I had my GTV in the shop there recently and the mechanic noticed a slight radiator leak. I had noticed myself tiny amounts of water/antifreeze on the ground under the car over the last while. I was also loosing small amounts of water from the engine so that was another reason I was concerned.

I bought Holtz Radweld liquid to try and seal the radiator leak, question is: where do I put the liquid? Is it in the water container in the engine? The instructions on the Holtz bottle tell me to put it directly into the radiator but the GTV's dont seems to have a cap on the radiator or any access to it!

What do you recon I should do?

Cheers Rob.

Someone also suggested sticking an egg in it... but I recon he was taking the mick!
Sponsored Links
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL
The much better product is something called " K Seal, " available on eBay. Used it almost three years ago as I had a very small leak from the Radiator, been leak free ever since. Of course if you have a relatively large leak nothing will work. Whatever you do forget the egg idea, used to be a dodge to try and get you going back in the good 'ole days !

The easiest way to use anything like this is to remove a pint or so of coolant from the header tank, sure you can figure out ways to do this, ( Coolant tastes 'orrible for instance ! ) then mix up some coolant to the correct strength with the K Seal in this. Add to the Header tank and let the engine run for a while ensuring that the engine is up to normal temp, 'stat opens, fans start up and that the coolant is circulating around the system. I did mine this way.

Another way is to remove the top hose at the engine side, this will enable you to pour the K Seal directly into the Radiator through the pipe. Of course this is a bit more messy and you will lose more coolant but is probably the better way. Same suggestions about running the engine as above.

Hope it works for you.

Have you seen the Lincolnshire Lounge ? Don't stay off the radar, come on in and have a look !

Next Event - TBA

Look Here ! -TBA

email: nige005@alfaowner.co.uk

Old radar men never die - their echoes just fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law.
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire
put it in the radiator expansion tank bottle, it's on the passenger side, smallest bottle near the engine,
but you will need to replace the radiator, it will seal it for now, but it's not a long term fix, i wouldnt relay on it,
new radiator is inevitable (around 200, plus labour unless you can do it yourself)
i've got to replace both of mine, air con rad and main rad so i am looking at approx 400,
good luck, hope this helps

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

gtv , leak , radiator