GTV Alarm Code - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
GTV Alarm Code

Can you advise me on how to resolve this problem:

I purchased an Alfa Romeo GTV Twinspark by private sale in 1998. It is an N reg, 1996 model. The car has been serviced at Alfa’s approved dealership SGT in Maidenhead since I bought it and it has a full service history. To date there have been no problems and it is used as a second car with a very low mileage – 31,000 miles. Just before Xmas it was taken to SGT with a flat battery and the immobilizer could not be de-activated. They said that the Alfa Romeo factory fitted radio was draining the battery and that it should be removed. This I agreed to. I telephoned to ask when the car could be collected. I was told that the "engine had blown up on a test drive." I was somewhat surprised because I had never had any trouble with the car and was not sure why it was on a test drive for a flat battery. I asked for full details as to what had happened because I was told that the bill would be £1800. That was never forthcoming. The car was apparently repaired just before Xmas - and after some difficulty I was given an itemized invoice.

When I went to collect the car the alarm was not working. I asked SGT why not as it was working when the car had been delivered. I was told that the key fobs were worn out. I agreed on their advice to purchase 2 new ones. These have arrived and I took the car in to collect them. I was told that we needed a 4 figure code for the alarm (as opposed to the immobilizer). I was told that this was not in all the paper work we have which we thought had all the necessary codes. I am told that if we do not have the code we will have to pay £500 for a new alarm receiver.

I have telephoned the original Alfa Romeo dealer. They no longer deal in Alfa Romeo cars and did not retain the alarm code. I cannot locate the original purchaser (our vendor.) I find it hard to believe that we have to pay for a completely new alarm system – codes must be lost all the time as cars change hands. I have never needed it.

Any ideas how I can find this code from elsewhere?

Sponsored Links
Big Dave
RCM Welcome,
Well I bet you won't be sending your GTV to that garage again!! What a bunch of crooks!!
Anyway I've had a similar problem with my GTV recently, but I needed the immobilizer code as opposed to the alarm code (two separate systems).
I spoke to the Guest Alfa dealers in Knowle, they were very helpful and knew what they were talking about. Give them a ring Speak to either David Finch - Service, or Paul Driscal - Technician, on (01564) 774221. They will sort you out.

I've attached my original problem as this may help.;f=19;t=000476
AO Platinum Member
My mechanic mate bloke says he's worked in places where people would take punters' Subarus and the like out for a hoon at lunchtime and rev the **** out of them basically.

I suggest you get your solicitor to ask SGT why they blew your car up dude.

I haven't read anything that suggests they took any care of your car at all and indeed most if not all of your problems seem to have been directly caused by your dealer, or could have been largely avoided if they weren't negligent.

Sue the *******s to death.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
Wise words Ralph!

F~;king monkeys - wouldn't be lining their pockets again if I were you!

What is it with so many alfa dealers and their eagerness to shaft loyal customers?

Don't want to start an bitter toned 'bring out your dead' thread - enough said, let's leave it there!

Hope all gets sorted.....
AO Member
Try taking the motor to AlfaAid also in Maidenhead (on the A4 just near the r'bout for the A404M) I've had nothing but expertise from them......I certainly won't be returning to SGT!
Hello RCM ,

Did you have any joy with this ? i think i'm in the same boat as you , i have one fob , no Credit Card thing with numbers on in the documentation , and its running low on battery .

Spookily enough the car was originally bought from SGT ...
AO Member
County: Lancashire

Member car:

2.0 gtv

Re: GTV Alarm Code

Top and bottom is!!! Sgt should never have taken the car out on any test run to check to see if the alternator was charging the battery. They can do that in there yard/Garage.With volt meters.Pal if i was you i would be digging deeper to find out why it was taken out,And going to see a solicetor...Looks like the common (ill just take this cos i have never drove one before !!) and then pushed it to see what it will do..I have a guy lives a couple of doors from me does this every day with ppls cars so i got that fed up of him rallying there cars down the street he got videod then reported to his company ..funny thing is he still works there and does the same thing

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

alarm , code , gtv