Lowering - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
Hi JL,

Sounds a bit strange really. The tyres should not rub the guards if they are the correct offset. I have seen plenty of lowered 156's with even 215/45x17 tyres on them and they haven't scrubbed.

I have never seen a 156 with 16" wheels lowered or standard that have scrubbed- maybe the wheels have incorrect offset- eg. for GTV/Spider- from memory these have about 12mm more offset.

Sponsored Links
I've got a 1997 2.0 GTV which is fitted with Eibach springs.

I've also got 18" alloys fitted with ultra-low profile 215/35/18 tyres. (like rubber bands!!!!)

The extremely low plastic sump protector does get scuffed on a regular basis and unevenly cambered back roads or speed-humps are a bit of a no-go.

However, the handling is excellent and it looks the mutts-nutts.

I've recently had all the rear bushes, arm-thingies and shocks replaced so hopefully things should last a while!

I will post some photos of it very soon.
AO Member
Hey Ayjay, welcome aboard dude!

What bushes did you use?

Also I think you have the skinniest tyres I've heard of on a GTV - the norm is more like 225/40s on 18s!!!
I have no idea what bushes were used,,, it was all done under warranty....

As for the tyre sizes... these were what was recommended to keep the dimensions as close as possible to the original wheels (which i now have as winter wheels)...

I suppose the size prevents all the scrubbing issues that other people seem to have suffered as I have no problems with bottoming out on the wheel-arches or when at full lock whilst parking.

I have to drive extremely carefully on dodgy roads as there isn't much air-chamber and it's easy to dent the alloy.

But as I say,,, I look fantastic especially as the 18" Diablo split-rim multispokes were custom made especially for me without the naff chromed outer rim... mine are silver all the way through.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 & WRX PPP

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Ayjay:
I've also got 18" alloys fitted with ultra-low profile 215/35/18 tyres. (like rubber bands!!!!)
</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Those are pretty low profile! eek! eek! eek!

Must be a challenge to just drive that everyday! Most people run on 225/45-18 in Thailand.
It's the first car that I have ever owned (Lotus's and other sporty stuff included) that I have to plan my routes carefully and pay attention to the road surfaces... It has slowed me down as a driver and has made me more observant... however the main bugbear is the harshness of the ride... there is next to no air-chamber and the lowering springs make matters even worse...

... i am thinking of adding a strut-brace under the bonnet to stop things from flexing and hopefully to increase the life of my suspension components.

...but having come directly out of a lotus elise, the ride is still very soft in comparison!!!!!!! i did have a new golf gti for a couple of weeks and i almost got seasick!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider