Brake Disks: 6, 20, or 40 Groove? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Brake Disks: 6, 20, or 40 Groove?

The AlfaOwner shop has Red-Dot brake disks for the GTV. They have 6 groove, 20 Groove, or 40 groove disks...
What's the difference?
I need new disks & pads on the front of my 2L GTV - strictly road use (no competition).
I fairly recently had new standard rear disks fitted.

So how many grooves should I go for at the front?
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
the groves are there for cooling AFAIK, so if you will be using your alfa in a sporty manner, the more grooves, the better, as they do not get too hot.

it's more a matter of finances, imho wink
AO Platinum Member
Use the smaller number of grooves, as too many grooves eat your pads up.

A chap at work has them on his Fiat Coupe and they look pretty good - the mega-grooved jobs always look "busy" to me.

Ralf S.
Big Dave
Hi Bruce,
The grooves in the disks are in fact used to 'clean' the face of the brake pads, not to cool the disks. The idea behind the grooves is to try and stop the pads from 'glazing' over, which ultimately reduces the efficency of your brakes.
Each time the groove passes over the pad it cleans it, removing any crap which may have settled on it.
I used 6 groove disks, and fast road pads on the front of my old Renault 5 turbo and found them to be fine for road use.
Hope this helps. wink
AO Member

Member car:

Big Dave got it in one, the grooves stop the pad from glazing. Not 100% sure but I think this is the correct term for the rubbish that builds up the pad and reduces the friction contact. So therefore the more grooves the cleaner the contact but this will also reduce the lifespan on the pads. Crossdrilled discs reduce the temperature allowing the pads to work at cooler tempertures. Good for back roads and track day were constant braking is required.

Mr T
Founder of AO
County: Essex

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Thanks to everyone that have answered this...

For normal road use, but with an excellent improvement on the original braking power, choose 6 groove discs with fast road pads only, you are only wasting your money if you do not intend to use the extra braking from the higher value disk/pads.

Honest answer as always!
AO Member
I got the 6 groove ones.. and they are fine.. you still get the spongy feeling (alfa) need the braded hoses.. alfa shop - do you do these for a TS?
Excellent - thanks for all the information. The pricing seems to be pretty comparable to standard Alfa disks & pads (they quoted 80 quid per disk & 50-60 for a set of pads), so I guess it'll be the 6 grooves for me.
I'll order them in the next few days once I have arranged a date for fitting.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

brake , disks , groove