Uneven tickover - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 03-01-03 Thread Starter
Uneven tickover

Hi - I'm quite new to this as I bought my Spider in August 2002 (1998 - 44,000k) and have recently had tickover problems...ie engine tickover drops to nearly stalling, then picks up to 1500 revs and drops again. It has been intermittent but seems to be getting more frequent. Its ok at higher revs. It never stalls but it's a bit annoying and something is breaking down. Could it be plugs? Any help most welcome.....thanks everyone. Oh, by the way...I love my Alfa.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
I think this is a 'Throttle actuater' problem, it isnt unusual, it seems to happen to a lot of TS engines. I had the same problem but it seems to have gone away now.
Suggest you check with a dealer.
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 06-01-03 Thread Starter
Thanks Mitch, it's intermittent but seems to be getting worse so I'll take it to the dealer and see if it recreates the problem there.....bet it doesn't!

AO Member
It might also be a simple dirt build up around the throttle opening... try spraying some carburettor & intake cleaner (like Redex) around the opening (after removing the air intake pipe), you'll be amazed at the amount of dirt it will remove.
My 98 GTV 3.0 has just started doing the same. Could it be the cold weather?

I noticed last Saturday, idle was not very stable. The needle was hunting around between 200 to 1000 rpm.

The next day I ran the car on idle from cold and it was fine, went to reverse and stalled, then kept stalling. Yesterday the car would not start unless I disconnected the switch for the air flow meter.

Does anyone know if running the car without this plugged in will do any harm, I've heard it makes little difference. I wonder if replacing the air flow meter would solve the idle problem as it all started together.

Any comments greatly appreciated.
Might have a split in your intake hose as my tickover wouldnt sit still when mine split.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

tickover , uneven