squeaking breaks and that engine cover thing on the bottom of the car - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
squeaking breaks and that engine cover thing on the bottom of the car

I seem to have acquired a squeak when i apply light pressure to the brakes. it only seems to be coming from the drivers side front wheel (but it might be from both). no warning lights or anything though on the dash. I dont know when the last time the break pads were changed either.

Also when i changed the oil a month or so ago, the damned bolts holding the engine cover on too the bottom of the car were a nightmare to remove and indeed the back two bolts wouldnt come off. in the end i had to leave the front end of the cover on the floor and use a cat litter tray to hold the oil in. oh yeah and the damned sump pump bolt is a god damned ALAN key! and of course i didnt have the right size (BIG size)! all in all, i started the oil change at 12 o'clock midday and didnt finish until 6o'clock that evening.

What do people do in these strange (and please tell me they are) circumtances?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

04 147 GTA

I just give it to my mechanic! Some stuff is just not worth it.

Your brake pad is most likely at fault. Might as well change both at the front as its likely they both similarly worn. What make are the pads? Cheapys make noises.
well next time its going in the garage for the oil change as they will have to bore out the threads of the current bolts or something.

i have no idea what make the pads are that are on them at the moment. how easy are pads to replace?
AO Gold Member
pads replacement can be done by trained Chimps, so I quess you qualify (lol)...
about the oil change ! I curse all the time when doing it.. but at the end I feel very satisfied knowing what oil I put into it and that I have a new filter.
AO Gold Member
pad replacement should be easy enough, i did it once (not on an alfa though) and i dont really have any experience

about the oil drain plug..luckily i do have the right size, but you should get a good one easily enough from your local toolshop/ironmongery!

and as rarebear said..while you're doing it you always start regretting it, but after its done..you forget all the probs and do feel satisfied that you managed to do the job yourself wink
AO Platinum Member
Blimey dudes, buy a wrench the right size and don't lose it. It's just an Allen bolt, after all.

Can't comment about the cover bolts but if any bolt gives me anything like a hard time I replace it with a new one. You'd be amazed how many people re-use duff, warped, twisted or corroded bolts and then moan about them the next time they come to undo them.

Use something like Copaslip on the new threads too - it'll save them corroding in next time.

Ralf S.
i havent ever changed it before otherwise i would have. i didnt expect it to be so much bother.
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

That's what you get for living in cold, wet Britain - rusty Alfas and stuck bolts.

Only joking. I used to hate my Alfa Sprint. It was always rusting from the inside out and when you tried to fix something the bolts were stuck with rust and sheared off. Always happened when it was raining and you were stuck under the front of the car on the driveway - the joys of Alfa ownership.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

bottom , breaks , car , cover , engine , squeaking , thing