Seeking buying advice for a GTV. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Seeking buying advice for a GTV.

Hi all,

I currently own a Fiat Bravo HGT, but am looking to move on to something a bit more sporty & with some class.

Had originally been looking at buying a Fiat Coupe but then I realised that the second hand prices of those were roughly the same as the GTVs... joy!

Currently have between 6k-8k to spend on a 2.0l GTV. What car can I expect for this money?

Also what should I be looking out for that may be specific to this car? & what is the difference between a standard and a 'Lusso' model?

Excuse me for being a bit green!

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

I recently brought a GTV (about 3 months ago now) and have loved it... good choice.

With regards what you get from your money - i think you'll definitely be looking at a pre-98 model with a fair few miles for the 6-7 k mark..

The post-98 model had the silver dash inside and also colour coded bumpers and a few bits and pieces.

If you can stretch to over 10k you'll get a fairly decent model i would have thought.

Re the Lusso or Regardo thing - the Lusso model is basically with leather interior. No other differences that i'm aware of.. I went for leather as its a nice extra, but does add a fair bit onto the price as i think it was about a 2k extra when puchased new..

Here's a few places that seemed pretty good when i was looking for cars anyway:

- based in Barnet, N London - always have quite a few.

- based in a village near Newbury - where i got mine from. Really good service and a good selection of cars.

Good luck and happy GTV hunting!

AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

04 147 GTA

Read both of these threads carefully for essential advice on second hand gtvs:;f=19;t=000141;f=17;t=000312

DOnt forget belts will need doing at 60k if not already done by previous owner. Ignore the above at your peril. Good luck and try and find someone who has had all this done. Or aim for a low mileage if your budget will allow.
Click here for another link on used GTVs.

I'm leasing mine new - but it's taking FOREVER!!!!
I got my 2.0l GTV TS back in March and never looked back, best car I've ever owned. As Ive says I also think it's worth going for a phase 2 car (post '98) if you can find one for the money.
I looked at plenty of older ones before bitting the ****et and going for a '99 V.

Happy hunting!
I went for a V reg '99 model too..

seems like good value as it was about 10k less
than the new price and just 3 years old with
about 25,000 miles on the clock..
After searching through the forum and reading the advice Im a little worried now! With variator problems and rear bushes wearing?!?

How common are these problems?!?

Low milage seems essential! Have seen a 2.0l GTV R-reg 23k miles for 7400. Good buy?
AO Gold Member
County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

TJ Have a look at Aishas excellent site www.gtvv6.for what to look for.Rear wishbone bushes go at around 30k I believe.These seem to be more of a problem on early 2.0 TS cars as the V6 and later cars have beefed up items.The bushes aren`t too expensive if caught early.Not sure when the variators go but the cambelt should be done by 60k miles although some say as little as 36k to be on the safe side.
If you want anymore info I have a scanned copy of the GTV/Spiders buying guide from Evo,I can send.PM me with your e mail address and I`ll send it on.

Some days you`re the statue and some days you`re the pigeon
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
Early non Lussos did not have air conditioning and had cloth interior. Later versions had climate but not leather. Go for the Lusso.
I bought a late 98 2.0 Lusso (ie the new layout) in Feb 2001 & haven't looked back. I have had the rear wishbones replaced (but not very pricey) & new tyres (hey - they do wear out you know).
In 18 months+ I have put on almost 30,000 miles & had no trouble at all. It's been a fantastic car & I would completely recommend it. They're such fun to drive.
I test drove an early 98 model with the old layout & it felt much more crampt - the new layout is definitely the way to go. Lusso gives you aircon & leather, and is again worthwhile.
AO Member
I LOVE this car. There is no other word for it, GTVs invoke a passion in their owners, it's difficult to explain but if you get one you'll soon know what I'm talking about.

Richard Melling
Go for a test drive & make sure there's no cloncking / weird noises from rear suspension.

Full Alfa history is essential especially on the older GTV's.

Go for the Lusso - adds Air Con & leather - as it'll be easier to sell if you re-sell it.

I was going to go for a 11K-ish 2.0 Twin Spark but after one chance drive in the 3.0 there was no going back..! You can get 'em for 10k-ish now - that's a hell of a jump from your budget but believe me YOU WON'T REGRET IT!!! And if it's too much to run just flog it!

As well as the Evo buying guide Pete mentioned, Autocar did a "Buying Used" special feature on the GTV / Spyder 6th September 2000. If you give me your email address, I'll scan you a copy across if you want.

As a summary they said "Here are cars that will send your credibility soaring while providing thrilling yet trouble -free motoring. And you don't need a secret service salary to enjoy a James Bond image...."

In other words.... don't worry..GO FOR IT!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

advice , buying , gtv , seeking