Heated rear window on GTV - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Heated rear window on GTV

Been away from the forums for a while thoroughly enjoying my 99 GTV which I purchased several months ago now after some sound advice from here.
Anyway with winter fast approaching my rear window de-mister has decided to pack up and Im stumped at how to fix it. Done the usual thing like checking the fuse, replacing the relay but to no avail. Probably something really simple, but anyone have any other ideas short of changing the window, my local dealership wants 70 ph just to look at it?
Sponsored Links
...to keep your hands warm when you're pushing it
AO Member
I know you've probably done this already, but do check the element on the glass itself, it just takes a tiny fracture to stop the current flowing through it. Easily fixed using that conductive paint stuff that you can pick up at Halfords etc...
The old ones are the best - how I laughed!
Good point about the element however, must be the only thing I've not checked.
I had a similar problem with my windscreen. if you disconnect the connections on your windscreen ( you need to go into the rear compartment of your boot and remove one from either side)and measure the resistance between your relay and the other end of the cable. I found 1.2Kohm and so replaced the cable (which was actually easier than I thought it would be). This cured the problem and the heater worked but soon after I found the plastic cover on the fuse had melted but the fuse itself had not blown. I am a little worried that there may have been something between the relay and the windscreen that gave the 1.2Kohm resistance but can't find anything or anyone who can tell me.
Anyway measure the resistance and you may find that the cable is open circuit, let me know what you find?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

gtv , heated , rear , window