Air bag light keeps coming on! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Air bag light keeps coming on!

Hey guys

I need your help!

My airbag light is a persistent little bugger. I have had it come on about 6 times in the last 2 years of ownership and its happened again!!

Any suggestions as to what the cause can be as most of the Sydney mechanics seem to be able to fix it for a little while before it reappears again 2 months later. I think its dangerous too because I'm not sure if the airbag will go off in the advent of an accident.

Thoughts anyone??!!!

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
when the light comes on it means that the airbag system is disabled. in the 147 its a common problem. the dealer said that the airbag sensor under the front passenger seat was a common problem because its connector was prone to coming loose especially when the seat is being moved forwards/backwords for passengers to get in the rear.
its not enough to just reconnect it, you have to reset the ecu as well as far as i know. so you have to go to the dealer each time..
or, it could be another prob so i'm wasting your time! wink

(This icon is a copyright of Banflu, Banflu Enterprises and Banflu DIY-Electronic Parking Systems).
AO Member
This is a very common issue with the GTV. Don't worry too much about it, you bag isn't going to go off, when the light is on it just means the airbag is disabled. Still, why is it happening? Two reasons:

1. Low battery power. Aibag deployment consums quite a bit of power it seems. If your battery drops below a certain level then the light will come on, make sure it's fully charged.

2. Known GTV/Spider fault. Get the Alfa computer plugged into your system, if it shows an airbag fault code then you need to have it reset. There is a workaround for this on cars with persistent airbag light problems - Tell you dealer to check their Alfa Alert bulletins and get your system fixed permanently.

Hope this helps.

Where has he been?
Most common problem on gtv airbag system is the drivers seat connector, being tugged.
BUT, each time you took the car to a dealer and they fixed the fault?//???? they should have told you the fault code that caused the problem. Is it the same fault or it maybe several? You need them to check their records to see if it is the same fault re-occuring or several faults.
Hi, I guess we all have faced that problem, but has anybody permanently fixed it and if yes how ?

I hate having a car of the status of the GTV and the airbag not to work !!!!
Thanks Everyone

Its a little frustrating with such a glorious car that these little things get in the way of the pride of ownership - let alone the safety issue of not having air bag go off in the unfortunate advent of an accident.

Anyway, all the suggestions are particulaly useful so thanks guys!! I will;

1) get the mechanic to tell me what the fault codes have been in the past;
2) get them to look out for an Alfa alert regarding persistent airbag light problems
3) try "tying" down again the seat connector.

This is a great forum!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

air , bag , coming , light