What the f#@$ is going on? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tony in Herts
What the f#@$ is going on?

Something VERY strange has happended to the electrics on my GTV...

The stereo has packed up, although the display lights flash on and off continuously and it makes an inetrmittent but brief motor noise. The noise is in timing with the flashing lights as if power is reaching the unit intermittently - oh, and the fascia won't release either. Naturally there's a CD stuck in there!

However, when I put my foot on the brake the display stops flashing and a light comes on in the passenger footwell.

Even more... when I put on the main interior light, both these things stop but the stereo still won't operate.

Sponsored Links
Try the simple one first - check your fuses.
Tony in Herts
Thanks, Rap. It was indeed the fuse, the one for the horn, cigarrette lighter, stop lights and interior lighting.

I've changed the 20A that was fitted for the closest spare I had, which was 25A. All is OK at the moment, and I'll pick up a spare 20A fuse when I have a minute this week. Presumably I'll be OK in the meantime?
AO Platinum Member
It'd worry me, seeing as we don't know what made the 20A fuse pop. A 25A should do the job but your components might melt at 22A for instance.

Buy a spare of every flavour for next time.

Ralf S.
Tony in Herts
Yes, point taken. I need to go about three miles to Halfords, who are holding a complete set of fuses for me, so I'm crossing my fingers now as I get in the car!

Tony in Herts
Interesting and amusing update...

New fuse now fitted, and I traced the problem to a knackered cigarette lighter that had fallen apart - the coily bit had unwound and gone where it shouldn't.

What did I learn? If you stick your finger in to pull the coily bit out again, it can cause excruciating pain and leave the end of your finger charred and smoking!!!

Who said "fools rush in"?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider