brake pad wear light - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
brake pad wear light

Driving home tonight the front brake pad wear warning light started flickering. It doesn't come on when I brake, and it never really lights up properly. Just infrequent, intermittent flickering.

Anyone got any ideas what it might be before I call the garage? I'm pretty sure it's not pad wear, and the manual hints at something scary and serious. (Contact services immediately!)

Oh, it's on a GTV V6, and I'm not planning on driving it again until I have some idea what's wrong.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

04 147 GTA

Sensor wires on one of the calipers is probably the culprit. But double check the pads again. Uneven wear could be causing this. Whats the mileage and when was the last time pads were changed?
Alfa say those things in the manual to frighten you, seeing that is is brakes. They are just so caring
Its probably due to low brake fluid. As the pads wear the fluid drains a little to compensate seting off the low level indicator.

If you decide to top it up be careful when replacing the pads as you'll have to drain some of the fluid first to prevent spillage on your lovely engine!.

AO Member

It's either brake fluid levels or a dodgy cable, happens all the time. Mine kept coming on every time I turned left, which became annoying, but that was just a cable fouling on teh caliper.

I'm sure it's an easy fix.

Although, if your pads are starting to go then you should know that this starts that light flickering too...

Like the manual says, take it to the dealer! They'll be able to tell you what it is at least!
AO Member
Same thing happened to me... and it was weird coz the light would only go on when i'm accelerating hard!!! After checking it was just the brake fluid was low, and topping it up solved the prob
AO Member
yep ditto.. when i chucked it round a left hander hard it flicked too..
The brake fluid's fine, and it does seem to be the cable that's earthing. I'll get it fixed, one day.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

brake , light , pad , wear