Stereo Stopped Working! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 03-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
Stereo Stopped Working!

To add to the catalogue of other issues i have had with my '97 GTV the stereo has now stopped working!

I had a couple of issues with the battery going flat and a mate connected the leads the wrong way round when jump starting the car which i was told could have blown a fuse.

However, the horn still works which i am told is on the same fuse so now i wonder if i could have blown the actual internal stereo fuse?!

Any help or advice out there is gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL
Given Alfa electrics I wouldn't depend that it IS on the same fuse as the horn, especially if the Stereo is an aftermarket fit or mod. Won't take you long to check the fuseboard and it's an obvious first check. It's also possible that there may be an " in line " fuse to the stereo.

To be sure you'll have to remove the head unit and check for volts on the supply plug that goes into the unit.

Sadly of course it could be that the unit has gone to the great electronic scrappie in the sky but don't give up just yet, do the logical checks first.

Good luck.

Have you seen the Lincolnshire Lounge ? Don't stay off the radar, come on in and have a look !

Next Event - TBA

Look Here ! -TBA

Old radar men never die - their echoes just fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law.
Have you got the standard head unit with the lift off face? Mine stopped working for no apparent reason a while back, but I knew I had power because the anti theft led was on. Removing and refitting the face about 20 times got it going again and it has been fine since.
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

If the battery has been disconnected is it a "code" issue ?
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 05-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks for all your replies.
It isnt a code issue as there is no power coming to the stereo at all- the aerial doesnt go up when you press the power button either.
I will check all the fuses this weekend and double check if there is a separate one for the stereo.

Not sure if it is an aftermarket stereo- its a clarion with a removable face if that helps.
My brother also suggested checking the inline fuse for the stereo so that on the list for this weekend too.

By the way, i am seriously considering selling her this summer. What is the market like at the moment? I have full service history and cam belts done about 4k miles ago. 91k in total on the clock for a '97 in great condition.
WOuld it be fair to epect about 1700..??
Thanks again

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

stereo , stopped , working