new gtv 2.0l (97) owner - typical problems?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 17-08-02 Thread Starter
AO Member
new gtv 2.0l (97) owner - typical problems??

OK, had the car (a 97 2.0l tspark) for 3 weeks (has done 35k miles). Problems so far:

Electric Aerial broken (doesn't extend at all)

Door mirror loose (though this has been badly repaired in the past, and a new one is on order)

Driver air bag warning light staying on.

Noisy startup from cold (told its a cam variator problem - caused by not using selenia oil at every oil change / top up - sound right)?

Alarm / locking system gone screwy (totally ****ed) this happened yesterday - when i go to lock the car, it just unlocks and doesn't set the alarm - just like if you leave a door slightly open, and it decides to randomly set the alarm off when putting the ignition key in.

Despite this, i'm chuffed (happy) with the car, and luckily my dealer gave a comprehensive 12mnth warranty, and everything above should be covered and fixed for free!

I was just wondering how many of the above are known typical problems? Anything else likely to come surprise me soon? Anything i should have checked, and if needed, fixed for free during my 12month warranty period?

Cheers people

Kris (eargerly awaiting my car being returned in a slightly more 'fixed' state)
Sponsored Links
Your problems are known but not necessarily common. Variator is more down to lack of topping up between servicing, some dealers reckon Selenia is the cause of the problems!

Check you have no noises from the rear suspension, the ride firm but if there is a crashing sound then your rear suspension bushes may be knackered, look at the car side on, on level ground, the car shouldn't sag at the rear. This is important as it can lead to rear subframe failure, an MOT failure.

Also don't shut the doors by pushing the glass as this may make the glass seal incorrectly.

Hope this helps
I've got a 96 2.0 which also suffers from the similar problems/inconveniences:

The aerial rarely extends first time after turning on the stereo, but will often pop up after hitting a pothole in the road. I'm considering replacing it with a small fixed aerial. Has anyone else had to do this ?

The drivers door mirror is also temperamental, sometimes it moves ok other times it just has a fit. Let me know if they are able to fix yours.

I gave up using the alarm, the key fob is awkward to use and giving a friend the keys to open the car always ended up in the alarm going off. Also in cold weather the door would often freeze, leading to very odd situations with the alarm.

Anyway, its still the best car I've ever owned and I'm looking forward to graduating to the V6.

It puts a smile on my face every time I drive.
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 19-08-02 Thread Starter
AO Member
OK, thanks for the replies. I'll take a look to see if i can see any 'saggage' at the rear! My door mirror was (i think) damaged at some time in the past, and was badly repaired - but they are supposed to be getting me a whole new mirror, though i've yet to see it..

The alarm problem has really annoyed me, and i'm without the car until they can find out whats wrong (i don't fancy leaving the car on my drive unlocked/unalarmed - if you knew my area you'd know why!) so i hope its not a major job leaving me without it for too long.

Anyway, i'm having a boot spoiler put on soon (130 quid + VAT for the spoiler and maybe 100 for spraying/fitting - sound OK)? Its the official alfa part - as seen on the V6's i beleive.

Thanks for the replies - i'll let you know my progress

AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

04 147 GTA

lots of probs with electric aerials on gtvs.
airbag light is also common, dodgy sensor under passenger seat usually to blame (max £100 to fix)
noisy startup is typical of 2l t-spark. About £500 to sort but you dont really have to.
best bring your car to any auto-electrician to sort the alarm
Also check the fins on the bottom of your radiator. They are prone to deterioration. The bottom 6 inches of mine have vanished !!!!

Founder of AO
County: Essex

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Hi... The unlocking of the car is a lock/central locking motor that needs replacing, you can usually hear which one it is.

Good luck with your new purchase

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

20l , gtv , owner , problems , typical