2.0 GTV with 18" alloys and lowering springs... clearance issues! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Alex Grabau
2.0 GTV with 18" alloys and lowering springs... clearance issues!

I've just taken delivery of the replacement for my Lotus Elise; a very sexy black GTV 2.0 Lusso.

When I bought it, I also ordered some 18" alloys and some lowering springs.

The alloys are 18" Team Dynamics Diablos (split-rim effect mutli-spoke) running on Falken 225/35 ultra-low profile tyres. These looks superb (I have some great photos which I will upload when I work out how to!)

HOWEVER, I have come into severe grief with the lowering springs.

I ordered some G-Max lowering springs which are supposedly progressive and for a GTV fitment. They drop the car by 40mm and make the car look absolutely stunning (I bought the car from a Ferrari dealer and it easily outshone the Ferraris!). However, with the sump-guard thing in place, I have less than 2cm of clearance and will ground on any uneven surface.

The springs are coming off tomorrow to be replaced by the originals. I am very tempted by the Eibach progressive springs which drop the car by 20mm. If I fitted these and perhaps removed the plastic sump-guard, would I have an acceptable amount of clearance for everyday driving?

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

Hi Alex
Have you posted this on Aishas site too?I`m sure it was mentioned on there that 40mm is too much for a GTV and 25mm springs are reccomended.BTW How does a GTV compare to an Elise?

Regards Pete
Alex Grabau
The Elise and the GTV are completely different in every way. The GTV has the better exhaust note as standard but other than that, all the senses are dulled. Unless you have driven an Elise or Caterham, you will not really be able to imagine how direct everything is. The car literally feels as though it is a part of you. Quite the most exhilerating experience!

However, I need more practicality and want to cover more miles so the Elise was sold (for what I bought it for!!!! Try that with an Alfa!!!!)

I had a 145 1.6L for a while when I was at uni' so I know what to expect. All the electrics will fail and it will be worth £1.50 next year, but who cares! you get a red key and an engine that sounds like a baby Ferrari!!

(I must admit that the Maserati Spider which the garage runs as a demonstrator is a little more sexy sounding but it does has a new V8 ferrari pumping about beneath the bonnet!) A very fun drive, I can tell you!!!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

20 gtv with 18 , alloys , clearance , issues , lowering , springs