Twin Spark Engine Note - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Twin Spark Engine Note

Just wondering how Alfa manage to make an in line 4 engine that sounds so wonderful when revved. Every other in-line 4 I have had sounds crap by comparison. Is it to do with the firing of the extra spark plugs making it sound more like a V10?

I haven't even heard the V6 and I believe that sounds orgasmic!!!

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
It's all in the exhaust tuning. They spend hours on it, to get the right note.

Ralf S.
Hey there guys,

Ralph so would replacing the tail box ruin the sound at high revs? I am thinking of putting on the twin center exhaust from postert and the rear spoiler (below the bumper) but I don't want to ruin the sound! What do you think? Any other comments are welcome.

Drive safe

Just changed from a 155 2.0 TS 16V to a 156 Selespeed (2.0 also) and although they basically share the same engine the 156 DOES sound very different. From inside the car, the 156 sounds bizarrely like a V6, quite growly. I think it must have something to do with the intake architecture or something. The 156 isn't as smooth as the 155 used to be (yet) but I'm hoping this will come in time as it runs in. Also, the 155 used to 'whoosh' a little bit as it went past 4000 rpm when being pushed hard (rather akin to a turbo) which was rather addictive. wink
hmmm. I thought Alfa did not exhaust tune; it's people like Mazda who exhaust tune. I may well be wrong though.

Second, I think that the Twin Spark at low revs, sounds very similar to the Boxer engines (still very nice!)

Finally, (and this might be a daft question), why do the best engines make the best noise? There's no logical reason why a great engine should sound good - does that make any sense? Sorry, the heat's getting to me now. Logic, reasoning etc....ciao.

AO Member
my friend who works for Alfa said they spent ages on getting the note right.. and lots of cash too.. i say its worth it..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

engine , note , spark , twin