GTV Headaches - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
GTV Headaches

My GTV is one year old, 21000km's, and all of a sudden everything seems to be going wrong.

1) The front disks warped at 15,000km's, and had to be replaced.

2) The clutch has packed up and need to be replaced.

3) Rattles seem to appear everywhere.

4) A "hot" smell appeared about two weeks ago. It smelled like plastic becoming very hot, but Alfa could not find anything.

5) Last week, the Air-con (a much needed item in South Africa) stopped working. It went in last Friday, and in the half day they had it, it could not be fixed, but it is linked to an electrical fault. (burnt wires perhaps??)

6) Over the weekend, the Airbag light came on all of a sudden??

7) I also had to write off two Michelin's after 6,000 km's as they went through to the canvas due to faulty camber settings from new.

Fortunately all (except the tyres) is covered by the warranty, but it still is not expected from a new motor car. I have had quite a few Alfa's prior to this one, and all of them had real Alfa "character", but this one is busy pushing the limits to far. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Normally after a decent blast down an empty road, I love it to bits, and then on other days, I wish I never bought the damn thing. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
JC.... don't know what you can get away with in SA, but I would kick up a right fuss until I got the car replaced. That's disgusting, especially from the flagship model. (Or is the 166 classed as the flagship???)

Good Luck!
Are South African Alfas assembled from CKD kits over there?
Originally posted by Rapallo:[QB]Are South African Alfas assembled from CKD kits over there?[/QB]
Nope. They are fully imported from the land of spaghetti.
The service I received from Alfa on my particular problems were terrible to say the least. It took them 3 days to fix the aircon.

When I picked up the car, my windscreen was full of fine stone chips, and the bonnet will have to be resprayed due to the amount of paint chips.

Their answer to that when confronted: "Sir, we have only driven the car to the aircon repair shop and back, and as you know it is only down the road". They refuse to take responsibility for the damage.

The clutch also could not be fitted, even though the process was booked well in advance. The reason, they do not have a kit, and it will take another 3 weeks before it arrives.

The end result, I have booked it in at the panel shop to replace the windscreen, respray the bonnet (all at my own expense ). It's new owner will take delivery of it in a weeks time, and I have replaced it (very sadly) with something more german.

A very sad ending indeed after 6 years continious Alfa ownership. frown

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

gtv , headaches