Spider not starting - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 23-05-09 Thread Starter

Member car:

Crazed Spider not starting

I did a stupid thing. I lent my daughter my 1998 GTV spider.

A couple of weeks ago the car cut out when she was driving and the RAC guy diagnosed a crank sensor problem. The car would turn over but not run. Local mech (good guy) fitted the sensor and all seemed OK. He also said that the ECU relay was corroded so he fitted a new one.

Last week she was driving it again (I know, I know) and the car electrics completely died. I towed it home and the battery was DEAD flat. Recharged the battery and did an ECU reset.

Now the car turns over but will not fire. Strange thing is that the code light did not come on at all at first so I thought a fuse problem. This morning I looked again and the code light comes on when the engine turns over (not immediately when turning the ignition on). It goes off again after a couple of seconds of cranking. The engine tried to fire a couple of times but still will not start.

Any ideas?

Last edited by RonFrend; 23-05-09 at 14:29.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Cardiff
Re: Spider not starting

Mad might be worth a quick try. Unplug the sensor and give it a try. Mine did the same by not starting. Is a quick easy check.
jay w

does the fuel pump sound like it is pumping fuel when the ignition is first switched on..

you should get a slooshing sound from just behind you.

when you crank the engine over check the plugs afterwards, are they wet?

I wonder if the fuel pump is giving the issue, i have had problems similar to this and found that it was a multiplug connector by the heater unit.....

if the pump isn't running and the plugs are dry after attempting to crank the engine PM me and i will run through what happened with mine
AO Member
County: Devon

yes had the same problem with my old 2.0 gtv my connector behind the glove box shorted out, took a while to find the problem its easy to take out the back seats to check if its running, mind it only runs for about 10 seconds on turning the ignition on.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 05-03-10 Thread Starter

Member car:

Hi Guys - back again.

I have been out of the coutry for a while and the poor little spider has been sitting in the garage all this time. So yesterday I decided enough was enough and now I need to get the thing going.

JayW - you are dead right. I have changed ALL the main relays in the engine bay (just in case) and now the code light is doing what it is supposed to. It comes on for a second or two then goes out. I changed all the spark plugs (its a TS) and they are dry. The fuel pump is not coming on. Next problem is that I don't have a manual so I don't know how to get to the fuel pump to check the voltage. Any pointers would be appreciated. I don't want to start ripping out carpets unnecessarily. What did you do JayW?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

spider , starting