Code issues, red striped relay on '97 GTV - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 18-05-09 Thread Starter
County: -
Code issues, red striped relay on '97 GTV

Hi all,

First, the problem:

Code light stays on, fuel injection light doesn't light up at all. Car turns over but doesn't start. (Fuel, battery, fuses, keys all fine). Diagnosis: Immobilizer has immobilized the vehicle. Immobilizer is incommunicado.

Second, the solution:

After a few months of sluggishly poking around this and other forums, I arrived at the conclusion that the ECU wasn't getting juice due to a faulty relay. Found the right group: on the '97 GTV 3.0 V6 24V, it's at the rear of the engine bay, right below the windshield wiper, beneath a plastic cap with a screw. There are four in that group in a square formation; main, auxilliary, fuel pump and ECU. The ECU relay is the one with the diagonal red stripe.

(All of the previous are assumptions I've gleaned from reading around - I really don't know a damn thing about this stuff).

Anyway, I went ahead and bought a standard-issue 12V 30A relay, popped the red stripey one out, popped the new one in, and presto! Code light went out, fuel injector light went on and then out, car started right up. Took it for a spin and everything seems to be fine, except that the ABS light is now lit. That makes me think I may have blown a fuse somewhere when I reconnected the battery - haven't checked the box yet.

Third, the question:

I called the local Alfa-authorized repair shop and asked whether it is ok to have a standard relay in that position, and they said yes, by all means, have at it. This didn't quite gibe with what I've learned by reading around here, i.e. that the relay that feeds the ECU is "special" in some magical way; diode, resistor, some other technical oddity that differentiates it from the others in the group.

So I would just like to have it confirmed by the experts here that I'm not going to blow up the car by driving around with a regular relay in the "red stripe" position. Or am I?

Many thanks!

Last edited by wheegtv; 18-05-09 at 11:23.
Sponsored Links
County: Baden-Württemberg
ECU no power to pin number 35

I'm having the exact same problem on my alfa, no power to the ecu, mine is a 1996 GTV. Tested the ECU and no current to pin number 35. The ecu should receives current from that exact relay with the red stripe to pin number 35 when the ignition is on. I will test it this afternoon.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

code , gtv , issues , red , relay , striped