You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Dont worry guys the heading is just to get you to read this.
Recently we have had GTVs/Spiders in with badly worn rear track control arm bushes (the track control arms are the ones which go outwards from the centre of the car to the hub, at right angles to the centre line of the car). Now these bushes come in new arms and are reasonably cheap to replace, however if they are not caught in time the arm shifts on the bush and carves its way into the Subframe, causing serious damage.
Replacement of the subframe is the only answer which is megabucks. So if you buy a used car, check the rear subframe and these bushes, and if you hear any noises from the rear save money and get it caught early.
Also it may be good to have your bushes checked every 6000 miles when you get an additional oil and filter change.
Sponsored Links
Hi Numan

I have had something similiar, the nearside rear trailing arm went on my 96 155. This caused the nearside wheel to adopt a very strange angle!! I only noticed it when the rear of the car started to lurch left on right handers [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] followed a week or so later by lovely grating noise!!!

The bush inside the trailing arm had all but gone and the whole arm had to be replaced. (I understand the bushes do not come seperately)

Wierd thing is the offside arm is perfect [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

The garage who did the work wondered if the exhaust routing near the arm may have contributed to its failure, or I take right handers faster!!!

I have not heard of this b4 or come across it in these pages.

Any1 else had the same?

winx [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Hi Numan

what sort of noises? So how often do we need servicing /oil changes the manual says every 12k or do you recommend 6k?
J [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
AO Gold Member
County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

Hi Numanracing

Is this something that is checked on a standard 12,000mile service or would I have to ask specifically for it to be checked?
Also Numan what oil do you reccomend,I use Selenia 20k 10-40 semi synthetic.Any point using fully synthetic?
Regards P [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
In the back cover of the A.R.O.C. newsletter there is an ad for E.B.Spares.I noticed this"Modern Alfas have their problems-worn wishbones and suspension links.154,145,146,155 and new GTV and Spide.Modified rear links for new GTV and Spide.A problem shared with EB is a problem halved because our wishbones are about half normal prices."See for more details.
Numan is this a problem aswell for the other models or are Spiders/GTVs more prone? Does the 3.0 litre have upated items? Also how do you think the rear links might have been modified? [img]smilies/cwm29.gif[/img]
Right, I would personally always recommend a six thousand mile oil and filter change, Selenia 20K is the dogs dodahs and I would always recommend it.
It should always be checked on a service but there is never any harm in having it recorded on a job card that you requested special attention be paid to it.
All Alfa technicians will know about them and if something happens in between services you will have the bushes condition recorded.
This will help in goodwill situations and also let everyone know you are clued up.
Regarding modified bushes I have not heard of these but we have suggested to AR that if they fitted a steel flange to either side of the bush it would stop the bush moving and causing the problem.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

failure , rear , suspension