What do you think the next Spider should be like? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
What do you think the next Spider should be like?

Having looked at the photos what do you think the next Spider should be like? What engines,rwd,fwd or 4wd? I would be interested to see what ideas other Spider Owners have on this.

My ideas are:

1) Individual styling,please no retro themes.
2) Same size,certainly no wider but lighter weight.
3)Rear wheel Drive.
4)Keep the 2.o ts as an entry model but needs to be nearer to 200bhp by todays standards. V6 needs to be 250bhp+ (New GTA motor?)

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
I agree Catherine, no retro themes please. Some nice retro details, so long as they are not too hammy or obvious. And RWD please!!

Well, styling is very subjective and this is just my opinion, but few cars are truely beautiful. It's a word that's used so lightly and often without thought. My friend has an M5, which he thinks looks beautiful. Ok, fine, each to their own; while it is indeed a handsome, mean looking car, no 5 series is ever going to 'beautiful'.

I would argue that 'good-looking' cars fall into a number of broad categories:

Cute/Trendy/modern - Ford Puma, MINI, Audi TT

Stylish - Audi A3, 147

Handsome - 156, Audi A4

Elegant/classy - Merc S-Class, 166

Stunning - GTV, Ferrari Modena

Beautiful - Spider

Except the beautiful category, all the other cars require an element of 'forced' styling to make them fit into their style categories (that's not a criticism, by the way) ie. the M5 with its mean skirts, the Audis with their very clinical styling, the GTV with the tiny lights and deep cut in the waste. The Audi TT is not beautiful at all; it is stunning for having such bold details and odd proportions, but never, ever 'gorgeous' or beautiful.

A beautiful car, is the purest looking, with the best proportions and ratios, the best balance to its look and style. It is the most difficult to achieve (which is why so few do); Alfa has it with the Spider; if they can do it again with the new one, then they will be unique in having a beautiful car in the truest sense of the word.

Now am I full of cack today, or what? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img])

Not at all GTV6

I think your ideas and the categories you list are spot on.Great minds think alike,thats why we both drive Alfas!Particularly agree with your comments on the TT.
Regards C
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

04 147 GTA

Yes you are! I think you're on the verge of writing some poetry! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Id like the new spider to be:
1) Totally fresh design, maybe a tiny retro touch
2) As powerful as a boxter

However think it will be:
1) a completely different car to the gtv
2) 4wd
3) pseudo-retro (I think alfa are going all out for it now)
4) probably some gm-alfa hybrid chassis
5) and probably the last true alfa engine
6) Not a high powered car, they'l keep that for the gtv.

Who knows, I am surprised though that are pics about of the spider and not gtv.
Have a look at www.pininfarina.com especially the 1998 Alfa Romeo Dardo concept for some more ideas on a future Spide.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider