When the hammer fix no longer works (hood) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 13-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire
When the hammer fix no longer works (hood)

My power hood was very intermittent on the normal main actuation switch and over last year or so I used the manual over-ride with the usual "hammer assist" applied to the rear cover lock actuator (in compartment behind seat). Removed the motor some time back and refitted the gear wheel 180 degrees around to use a less worn tooth section. - Only worked for about 6 months.
Finally it failed completely last month with the actuator just whirling away to itself. - (rear cover would not open & if did would not close)

On stripping down the actuator found the plastic gear wheel badly worn in one segment and a tooth missing. Also the spindle to drive plate attachment braze had cracked.

Sorted the braze and fixed the motor with one of "Lemi's" replacement gear wheels. (Thanks Lemi).

As there are always some recurring threads on Spider failed power hoods, so thought I share a few photos of the actuator, incase anyone else has a similar problem & wanted to strip the motor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Actuator Insitu.JPG (78.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Hood Cover Actuator.JPG (67.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Piece Parts.JPG (45.1 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Damaged Gear.JPG (45.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Drive-Plate-Damaged-Braze.jpg (67.3 KB, 39 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Lancashire

Member car:

alfa spider

Re: When the hammer fix no longer works (hood)

I have a 2004 Spider lusso 2 litre. The power hood works ok (keep fingers crossed) but it seems to fold down too tight on the hood fabric and as a result there are marks on the hood where it touches. Eventually these will become holes. Do you know how the mechanism can be adjusted to back it off slightly so that when it folds it doesn't press down so much? Neil (Newbie)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

fix , hammer , hood , longer , works