Headlight glass - murky inside..... - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Word of caution - do not allow metal and glass to come together

I ended up cracking a headlight and having to shell out for a new one! Best use something plastic to prise glass from the caulking and be VERY very careful!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Eastern Cape
Great tip - in fact this is the fastest way to make a huge difference to the front of your car - mine were even more foggy and I was thrilled with the outcome - literally took 10 minutes.
AO Member
County: New South Wales

Member car:

Spider 2.0 JTS

I was gonna do this today with a wide flat screw driver. Thanks for the pointer paintergirl!
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire

Member car:

'01 GTV 3.0V6

I did this job last weekend. I used a large flat blade screwdriver, but my tip is to remove the whole light first and place the whole unit in the airing cupboard or somewhere similarly warm overnight before tackling the job. Alternatively or additionally use a hairdryer to soften the caulking.
AO Member
County: Bucuresti

Member car:

Spider TS - Red

Did mine last weekend... quite a difference:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before_after_1.jpg (100.4 KB, 23 views)
AO Gold Member
County: Brokopondo

No cleaning solvents (ie: Glass cleaner) on the lens even when its not within 50yards of the light reflector?
Or am i mis understanding? i would have thought once you have the lens sep from the actual reflector you could use any normal cleaning agent you choose, or as i say have i misunderstood?
AO Member
County: Bucuresti

Member car:

Spider TS - Red

You don't need to clean the lens or the reflector. Only the glass has 'dirt' on its inside.
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 v24

Done mine today. And happy with the results.
As the weather is not so nice and still cold i used hot air blower to heat up the sealant. When one corner started to give up, and i could lift the glass, pointed the hot air stream directly on the sealant, and from there on the glass removed very easy.
Tools i used:
Left before and after:
Left before.jpg
Left After.jpg
Right before and after:
Right Before.jpg
Right After.jpg
Tried to remove stone scratches that are on the outside of the glass with some fine grinding/polishing paste (used for metal) but no success. Guess diamond paste has to be used.
AO Member
County: Attica

Member car:

916 spider 2.0

Finally the HID kit arrived so i clean up the headlights and installed the kits (i bought 2 kits for both Hi - Low beam). But.......there is always a "but"....in this case when i turn on the lights on the low beam the left bulb flickers for a few seconds and then goes off. I switch the ballasts and the problem persists. I also change the power connector but...nada. When i change the bulb everything was ok. Also the high beam looks amazing with that flash effect on signal....but i had 1 bulb failure out of 4 bulbs....lucky me....i emailed the store and i hope i will have answer soon. I also ordered 1 extra pair (from ebay this time) as spare. I hope that the bulb change will solve the problem.

Last edited by Ugo_Sivocci; 17-04-10 at 23:37.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

glass , headlight , inside , murky