GTV front wishbones - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 29-03-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

147 JTDm

GTV front wishbones

Hi all,

I changed the front wishbones on my girlfriend's gtv today so thought I do a quick post incase it can be useful to anyone, all this info was gained from searching on here anyway but thought I'd put it in one place. Cheers to all the people who posts helped me, too many to mention .

I ordered the wishbones from alfaworkshop, they were a touch more than ebay but turned up next day with genuine fiat/lancia part stickers on them.

Service from alfaworkshop was great and they even have a guide on their site for replacing the wishbones.

I used this guide in combination with the workshop manual I got from here to do the job, mainly using the manual for torque figures.

Tools wise you'll need a decent socket set (13-19mm, flat sockets are better than ones that grip on corners as some of the bolts were a bit rotten), a breaker bar (you might be fine but I've never seen the inside of a gym and needed the bar), phillips screwdriver, long flat screwdrive/prybar, jack and axle stands, copperslip, wire brush, penetrating fulid, lump hammer, ball joint splitter, torque wrench (30-100Nm) etc.

Main things I found out that aren't in the alfaworkshop guide;
  • Spray loads of penetrating fluid everywhere, well mainly on the back of nuts but give everything a good soak and go make yourself a brew.
  • It really helped to take the wishbone on/off if you slacken the arb mounts on the subframe as the rear bracket of the wishbone has to go under the arb mounts, much quicker to move them than try and pry it under.
  • There is a lot of thread showing on the balljoint retaining bolt and the arb wishbone stud, I found mine were heavily corroded making it hard to undo, I nearly rounded the bolt head trying to undo it. Did it back up, wirebrushed the thread and it came off easily, so on the next side I cleaned the threads up first and had no problems.
  • It was a lot easier to fit the rear bolts to the wishbone when I jacked the wishbone up under the balljoint to its 'normal' ride height. This will make more sense when you do it, the front bolts go in easily. Be very careful as you are offloading the axle stand if you do this. In fact don't do it and don't blame me .
  • Remember how you wiggle the wishbone out as the new one has to go back the same way, the gearbox side is a lot trickier to fit.

Anyway hope this helps, it's not a bad job, even on the drive on axle stands. Got to go and get the tracking checked now, even with that its a big saving on what it would have cost to have done, although at the time it took me/the cost of fitting I only saved 15 an hour!

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: West Sussex
Re: GTV front wishbones

Great post John,

I'm just about to replace the same on my spider so this is a great help.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

front , gtv , wishbones