squeeky steering wheel !! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 27-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS

squeeky steering wheel !!

Does anybody else have this problem? its so irritating, i tried a squirt of wd40 in between the steering wheel and the column, to know avail. I also put some more flud into the power steering resevoir as the steering feels heavy to me but as I have only owned the car for a month maybe the heavy steering is normal, which I can accept but i cant stand that squeeking !!
Sponsored Links
Re: squeeky steering wheel !!

definatly shouldnt feel heavy,the gtv is one of the lightest steering cars i have driven.check fluid,tyre pressures too...
AO Member
County: Angus

Member car:

gtv v6 & 159 ti

i think a few people have had the squeaky steering wheel problem myself included. i just stuck some wd40 down there and it eased it off. still squeaks now and again in the morning but goes away. as for the heavy steering if all ur fluids are fine it could just be tyre temperatures or worn tyres.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Squeaking steering wheel is very common on the 916's.

Some people have used WD40, Silicon Grease, French Chalk and all sorts of things with varying degrees of success. Mines squeaks occasionally, I can live with that although if it did it constantly I would be looking for a permanent cure.

The steering itself should not be stiff or hard though, I'll just echo the ideas of the previous posters.
County: -

Originally Posted by joeydawson View Post
definatly shouldnt feel heavy,the gtv is one of the lightest steering cars i have driven.check fluid,tyre pressures too...
Agreed, sometimes I even think it is too light, only after getting out of one of our other cars though

Could it be the steering rack is actually damaged?
Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post

The steering itself should not be stiff or hard though, I'll just echo the ideas of the previous posters.
Agreed agreed agreed...

AO Silver Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

Yes, ultra-light steering on GTVs, too light in my opinion.

I use furniture polish spray to get rid of the squeak, it comes from between the wheel and cowling, and the polish keeps the squeek at bay for a year or more.
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa GTV

i have the same problem, but iv noticed only really on a warm day? Not sure what the connection could be? And only between 11 and 1 o'clock.
Where should i be aiming my wd40, silicone grease or.......furniture polish? lol
Global Mod Team
County: Suffolk
The squeak is probably the shroud around the steering column. I had the same problem try adjusting it (loosen screws) and, as others have said use a lubricant.

Heavy steering - hmm - all subjective but both my GTV and Spider feel "normal". With the engine off you need the arms of a wrestler. Engine on and it turns "normally" i.e. you don't even think about it.... so if it is "heavy" when running you may want to check it out. As has been said check the power steering fluid level first.
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

GTV twinspark

I had a squeak from the track that runs around the back of the wheel that connects to the sprung doofer that connects the horn button on the wheel to the loom. You cant really see it with the wheel on though. A faint smear of grease on the track and the doofer. (I`m sure theres a proper technical term!)
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 479
County: Norfolk
After a quick search I found this thread, if it helps - Steering Wheel Squeak. I have this squeak/creak on my car, it's driving me nuts!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

squeeky , steering , wheel