gearbox and steering advice needed for newbie! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 26-02-09 Thread Starter
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

gearbox and steering advice needed for newbie!

Hi there,

Newbie here (great forum by the way).

Just want to ask if the 3.0l v6 gtv's gearbox/gearstick is stiff? By that I mean can you/should you be able to move it free from left to right (wobble it) whilst in neutral like most other cars? Ive driven one and the gearbox seemed tight and selecting 3rd was difficult. No crunching or anything, just couldnt really find the gear. Shifting down to 3rd was easy but shifting up to it wasnt so easy. Maybe its just me not being used to the gearbox?

Also the steerign drifts to the left. They tryes seem ok with good trear, could this just be a wheel alighnment problem? There was no nocking noise from the suspension. How much does alighnment cose?

Last question, does the airbag light continously showing count as an MOT failure? Is this an easy fix?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Re: gearbox and steering advice needed for newbie!

The gear change should feel slick and well oiled - mine has no play but is not at all stiff.

Airbag light is not part of the MOT, unlike abs lights. Can't help with alignment costs, sorry.

Edit: re airbag light - it is likely to be an easy fix unless you are unlucky. Normally just requires resetting.
AO Member
County: Australian Capital Territory

Member car:

2001 Spider v6

Re: gearbox and steering advice needed for newbie!

I have a 2001 Spider 3.0 v6, so I can let you know what my gearbox is like.

Extremely smooth to change, feels spring loaded, when downshifting it almost changes by itself into next lowest gear, not stiff at all, yes you can move easily enough in neutral.

Can not comment on MOT.

I had my airbag light come on during the week, a result of a passenger fiddling with connect down by seatbelt stalk (the was pre-tensioner connection), took it to Alfa mechanic and it cost me $20AUD to have it scanned and cleared in 10 mins.

Hope this helps

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

advice , gearbox , needed , newbie , steering