AO Silver Member
Join Date: May 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Re: GTV P.1 Dashboard Renovation
Well sorry to ressurect this 'old warhorrse' of a thread again but, all I can say is 2nd time lucky - I will take some new pictures over the weekend of the newly painted lower centre console (upper one will be done next week).
Now finished in Gunmetal grey, lovely and smooth with a good finish (so the black 'gloss' one I did two weeks ago will be coming out tomorrow).
I also have a spanking new black (with red stitching) Momo gear lever gaiter (From AR) to accompany it. Really looking forward to posting some pics up and if ok with MODS may do a guide for this next week when I do the upper console.
A very brief guide :
1. Paint Stripper, use sparingly just to remove loosest pieces of rubber coating.
2. Rub down starting with 200grit down to very fine (1000+ grit) wet and dry paper.
3. Prepare surface with rough dish sponge and paint prep wipes.
4. Plastic Primer (several coats), sand after 24 hours with 1000grit paper.
5. Plastic Filler to remove imperfections, sand again as above after 24hours (I left mine 48 for extra curing).
6. Prepare with paint prep wipes and apply final colour. Several coats - leave and admire. Wait 24 hours.
7. I am leaving our one flat now (as I love the finish) but is upto you if you wish to lacquer/T-cut etc. I am tempted to T-cut but if it ain't broke don't fix it!!
Main thing I learned to my detriment the first time round is not to rush (I tired doing the whole bunch in 24 hours last time round and it went pretty wrong). Take your time, allow a good working week to prepare and sort it and you WILL be very happy.