New to GTV ownership - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 17-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire
New to GTV ownership

Hi guys

I've been on here for about 2 years now but have only owned 155's before. I'm looking at buying a GTV, probably around 1997-2000 year. I'm not so sure on what engine, I guess I'll see what's around

I was just wondering weather the problems too look out for are very similar too a 155 and what do you think the best/most reliable engine is too go for? Is it right the 2.0 16V is pretty much the same as is in the 155's?

Also are cambelt changes needed regularly (ie every 30,000 miles or so) or do they last a little longer.

Cheers, hopefully I'll have one soon
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Bristol
Re: New to GTV ownership

V6 was a no brainer for me
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 17-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire

A V6 would be nice. I know someone with a 3.2 V6 (newer than I'm looking at) ad that goes really well
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

GTV v6 Lusso

Supposedly the v6 is more reliable, and cheaper on servicing costs, but the v6 eats fuel - low 30's is the general consensus for mpg.

Mine has a few alfa gremlins lurking with the suspension being done as we speak, and there are one or 2 electrical things i'm planning to sort when its back.

I can certainly vouch for the feel of winding that engine up being difficult to beat, and with the common mods like the 2.5 transmission bits and the LSD it may as well be a supercar - looks good, sounds great and goes like the clappers!

Make sure you try one out on a full test drive tho, the letterbox windscreen can be off putting for the taller driver along with the headroom.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Have a look at the buyers guide sticky, it will tell you what to look for.

The cam belt job is essential at 36K or three years, whichever is the sooner. Keeping the oil up to max is also essential, some TS drink oil, some don't but you still have to check it at least weekly. If the cam/auxiliary belts need to be done you should change the variator at the same time, an extra £100 or so but if you don't and the variator does get unbearably noisy you'll have to do the whole job again. Some people also recommend Water Pump replacement at this time as well, probably worth doing.

The suspension on these cars are probably the Achilles heels of these cars, when it's working well it's great but does have a hard ride, if you suffer from haemorrhoids look elsewhere ! However the rear components are expensive to repair when they have to be done, a lot of people go for Powerflex bushes at this point but I think I prefer to stick to OEM. Either way you'll need upwards of £500, could be quite a bit more. Don't ignore any problems in this area though, it could cost you a new subframe and you don't want to go there.

The TS drives very well and most people reckon the handling is perhaps a bit better than the V6 as there isn't as much weight over the front. Having said that my next one will be a V6 3.0L, I really do want one of these. My indy reckons that the V6 is perhaps more reliable than the TS but the bills will be higher if it does go wrong. The TS will return about about 28 - 32 mpg, the V6 about 10mpg less.

Look out for electrical niggles on all of them, don't discount what seems to be a minor problem, could cost loads to fix.

Now is a good time to buy if you have the cash, one guy bought what seems like a beautiful Cup for not a lot of money just last week. Take your time, have a good look around and don't be afraid to walk away if you have any doubts. Once you have decided to buy a GTV, which will have come from the heart as they are in no way practical, now buy with the head, as hard as it may be !

Hope you find what you want.

Have you seen the Lincolnshire Lounge ? Don't stay off the radar, come on in and have a look !

Next Event - TBA

Look Here ! -TBA

Old radar men never die - their echoes just fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

gtv , ownership