GTV fuel gauge - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL
Re: GTV fuel gauge

Originally Posted by amancalledrob View Post
I've run my Gtv until the needle obscures the lowest white mark on the gauge. Nothing bad happened. I only put about 30 in each time because the cost of carting about a tankful of spare fuel is considerable - and I only drive it a few times a week, normally putting fuel in as soon as the light comes on.

What occurs to me is: if there's sediment in the fuel tank, where does it come from? Also, isn't the fuel outlet at the bottom of the tank? If it is, doesn't any sediment just sink to the bottom and get sucked up straight away?
Rob, I believe that the sediment comes from the fuel itself as it's not 100% pure, it can't be. Perhaps there is also an element of the fuel tank corroding over time, certainly in some old tanks I have replaced there has been internal corrosion.

Not 100% sure where the fuel pick up from the tank is but it's unlikely to be right at the bottom of the tank, most cars don't have the fuel feed at the very bottom of the tank. This could explain why you can never get the full amount of the tank capacity in there at the petrol station as there is always going to be some in the very bottom of the tank. Unusable yes, but still in there.

Just my thoughts.

Have you seen the Lincolnshire Lounge ? Don't stay off the radar, come on in and have a look !

Next Event - TBA

Look Here ! -TBA

Old radar men never die - their echoes just fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member

I watched an old re-run of Top Gear on Dave the other day, and Clarkson drove an Audie A8 diesel from London to Edinbrugh and back on one tanks of fuel. As he was approaching London the fuel gauge and the computer told him the tank was empty, but he still made it. So, I reckon even on empty the GTV could drive quite a few miles.
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

2001 spider

Had about 30 miles with the light on in the spider but drove like little miss daisy to get me home, my 156 only did about 20 miles before leaving me on the hard shoulder of the M25 at 4.30 in the morning, best to fill up as soon as.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

fuel , gauge , gtv