Bleeding water system after Rad change?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 01-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Dorset

Member car:

Alfa GTV

Bleeding water system after Rad change??

Changed the radiator on my gtv 2L, I let the car get up to temp with the filler cap off.

I then went for a drive and within a couple of corners the temp went u to near 130, i pulled over quick and turned the engine off. I then let out the pressure slowly from the filler cap, i started again and drove off and now the temp seems ok but i didnt drive it for long.

Doesnt anyone know why the temp went up so high and now seems ok?

Have i done the bleeding wrong? what is the normal procedure?

Any help would be great

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: herts
Re: Bleeding water system after Rad change??

I posted my method just a while back, not everybodys way though. Jack the front high, stands or ramps, with her cold, pressure cap off. Repeatedly squeeze the top and bottom hoses in quick succession. Start her up, and let her idle with the pressure cap off, heater on full, for a short while. Then open any plastic bleeder valves on the rad/hoses you can find.

Last edited by zulu ferret; 01-02-09 at 21:38. Reason: 2cc's
AO Silver Member
County: Shropshire

i thought u were talking proper pluming
AO Member
County: -

What worked for me (new rad) was plenty of squeezing of both the upper and lower rad pipes as I slowly fed in the paraflu. When up to the correct level on the expansion tank, I let her tick over for 10 mins with the pressure cap off. After much more squeezing of the pipes (plenty of bubbles and gurgling in the expansion tank) - and several more top ups, she seemed to be air free.

Then went for a drive and 3 miles later the expansion tank had half-emptied !! One more top up though and that did it. I checked the level every day for a week with no further change. It's now been 6 months and the check is weekly - still with no further change.

When driving for the first time though, my temp never went anywhere near 130 (didn't go over 90 in fact), so I think I must have released most of the air during the initial filling.

BTW - if your old rad was leaking, check out your fan thermistors and wiring - mine had shorted after getting bathed in coolant. My first check after re-filling coolant was to make sure rad fans kicked in/out properly.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

A final idea for you. Make sure that the heater is " fully on " when topping up to ensure that the coolant fills the heater matrix. Other than that just as above although I must confess that I have never had to jack the front of the car up whilst doing this but I'll bow to Zeds superior knowledge on this should you have any problems.

After doing it I almost always have to put about another pint in after a 10 mile drive and then that's it.
AO Member

Member car:

Any advice on doing the rad change as mine needs doing?
AO Member
County: Bristol

I did my TS last year and there's plenty of space in front to get the radiator out and in without jacking the car up and without removing much other than the bonnet pull mechanism.

If you've working air con you might want to discharge it and remove the air con radiator before you start as it's a right pain in the **** wrapped around the main rad.

If you've a V6 this might be harder too, as I expect there's less space to twist it out without removing much else.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

bleeding , change , rad , system , water