Stick on number plates - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 31-01-09 Thread Starter
County: -
Stick on number plates

I just found an interesting piece from regards stick on number plates since I am thinking to get one for the front of my Spider (yes, I KNOW they are illegal) since the current plate is damaged and also looks like a right pigs ear in it's current size and position!!! View topic - Stick on Number Plates (self adhesive)

We take numerous calls from people regarding the legalities of stick on number plates. Let's set the record straight, stick on number plates ARE NOT road legal.

From DVLA: Number plates must meet the British Standard requirements and we are not aware of any self-adhesive number plates that are able to meet these requirements

As we are all aware, there are hundreds of cars with self adhesive number plates driving around in Britain. We believe police forces would rather see a stick on legible plate than a small plate which cannot be read.

SOME Dealers (our local Mazda dealer for one) sell brand new cars WITH stick on number plates already on the car (what's that all about?) Did anyone not tell them?

When you order stick on number plates from us we use reflective materials that pass BSAU145d reflection tests. The letters used are the same size specified by DVLA, and are spaced correctly. So why ban them? In my opinion these plates were banned for one reason!

Years ago, these where sold in shops with letter kits to make your own, (trailer boards used to have them). If you could make your own number plate, it could end up with a few of the letters accidentally put in the wrong place and hence you would never get a speeding ticket Exclamation Not a very smashing idea as far as DVLA could see, so they where banned - or never introduced. From memory they where never stated as legal, but prior to September 2001 were seen as acceptable.

So is it worth the risk? Well if I drove a performance car, and fitting a correct size number plate would block the air intake, I think so. I actually think they do look good, people do love or loath them, but on the right kind of car, I personally think they add a touch of class! Wink

But here is a word of warning... I would never knock my competitors, but please don't save a pound or two by ordering the letters and reflective separate, then spend endless hours trying to get each letter on straight, then ruining it! Let us make the plate for you, this will ensure correct spacing to comply with DVLA's guidelines, and will be level. (There is nothing worse than seeing a number plate with the letters attached by someone playing pin the tail on the donkey!)

And if you are still unsure of what is best, bear this in mind....... so far this year we have sold three stick on plates to Policeman (they have the same troubles as us you know!)
Number Plates and Show Plates
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

If there is one thing that stands out from the Brarea's fine lines its the number plate. I too found that link about self adhesive number plates and was think it might improve the aesthetics a little bit by using one of these number plates on the exiting mounting. Has anybody tried them and more importantly if so, have you had issues with it?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

number , plates , stick