Inlet Manifold/ Air leak problem?! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 31-01-09 Thread Starter
County: South Yorkshire
Inlet Manifold/ Air leak problem?!

Hi am fairly new to this forum but have been reading a lot of the posts relating to problems with the running of my 2001 2.0 GTV.

The problem I have is when starting the car from cold, or especially on cold days even if the engine is warm, when you try and pull away it seems very reluctant to rev and also get some kind of induction noise. I have hunted around underneath trying to see where its coming from after trying the obvious things like MAF sensors etc and it seems to be coming from after the throttle body down the back of the plastic inlet manifold. From what I can see this seems to be a two part plastic thing - does anyone have experience of these letting in air where they shouldn't or does anyone have any other suggestions. When you rev the engine with your ear by the throttle body / inlet manifold you get a real rasp noise and sometimes a what sounds like a small backfire... I have sourced a used inlet manifold but the idea of changing it over doesn't look particularly nice.
Any ideas would be gratefully received as have had a few near misses now when pulling out and the car almost dieing!
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Re: Inlet Manifold/ Air leak problem?!

The "plastic" (actually a fairly complex composite!) manifolds can develop problems, particularly if at any time in the past there has been a cambelt failure and the engine has backfired...

Changing the maniold is a fiddly job but not particularly difficult, especially if you can get the car over a pit or on a ramp - its held onto the engine by two (15mm?) bolts into a steady bracket, and two 13mm bolts into the ally manifold casting (these all need to be accessed from below, really), as well as the clips on the rubber piping between the plastic and ally parts of the manifold (if you dont have the proper pliers to remove and replace these - about £15 from Halfords - get four suitable jubilee clips in before you start!). There are plenty of wires and pipe connections to/on it too!

Good luck....

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

air , inlet , leak , manifold or , problem