what do you think? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 28-01-09 Thread Starter
County: Western Cape
Idea what do you think?

i wana put nitrious oxide on my car.Its a alfa gtv 3.0 v6 24v.Is there anything i have to upgrade or change to my motor?Will the gearbox be able to handle the power?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire
Re: what do you think?

Buy a different car
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Something with VTEC yo'
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

I reckon you might enjoy life in the fast lane, but probably not for very long.

Sorry but no proper advice for you, just to say that I wouldn't do it. Sounds like Drag Race stuff to me and not at all practical for road use.
AO Silver Member
County: -

Or if you have watched too much of the fast and the furious....
AO Member
County: Surrey

Actually Nitrous is a very good, cheap and if done properly, safe way to increase the performance of any car. The only hassle is re-filling the bottle as there are a limited number of places that do it (although you can mail order on an exchange basis I think).

Nitrous is no different to bolting a turbo charger or super charger on a car, its a type of forced induction. It's not actually the Nirtous you want at all, it's the extra Oxygen. The extra Oxygen (NO2) is compressed hence you can squirt more of it in than your car can breath in normally aspirated fashion. The extra Oxygen present means you can burn more fuel and more fuel means more power. It's that simple.

The dangers are simple to understand as well. First, if you don't get the balance right you will run a lean mixture (not enough fuel for the extra Oxygen) which will very quickly run hot, cause pre-ignition and probably damage your engine. Simple solution, use high quality fixed jets in the right proportion and fit a safety mechanism - the best bet being a fuel pressure switch which cuts the Nitrous if it detects a drop in fuel pressure.

The second danger is not so simple. Greed! With Nitrous you can develop as much power as you want! I'm serious. You want a GTV with 400BHP? 500BHP? 600BHP! No problem. You can make as much as you like, but, you must take into account how much the other components can take. It goes without saying that the extra power will put increased strain on everything from the bottom end, piston, clutch, gearbox, driveshafts and even tyres... The solution again is simple. Don't be greedy!

I would say a 50BHP 'shot' would be fine on a GTV in good condition. That would give you up to 270BHP on tap and an extra 50BHP will really throw you back in your seat when injected. The V6 should be solid enough to cope with that power though, as should the clutch and gearbox so long as you're not silly in how you apply it (again you can, if you want build in safety mechanisms such as RPM switches to limit when it can be used etc.).

I actually have a load of Nitrous bits lying around at home... got the solenoids, some injectors and a bottle, just need to add some hoses. So if anyone is interested in having a go, let me know!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider