Brakes? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 23-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

GTV Lusso

Hi all,

Driving my GTV home last night, the brakes were sh**! I have owned the car for 3 months now and not had any problems with them before - they've been excellent in fact, but last night it felt on the berge of dangerous and I was really having to stamp at the pedal to get anything much at all. I know there is plenty of wear left on the pads (I havent taken the wheel off but from this side they look/feel almost new)

I'm going to have a look at it this afternoon, so what should I be looking for? I'm hoping its just low on brake fluid, or something simple? :S

I'm trying to avoid taking it to the garage (for the fourth time in 3 months) but I think unless it is something fairly simple I will have to for this one!!

p.s. it was wet last night down here, but that has never affected it before, and surely it wouldnt affect it that much?

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Re: Brakes?

I dont think its anything related to brake fluid level to be honest unless the level was extremely low but then the warning lights should have been on.

It could have been water sprayed up on the pads but that should dry off after the first brake application?

It does sound a bit like the pads are worn, maybe one side is more worn that the other - I guess you will have a better idea once the wheels are off
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL
Re: Brakes?

How does the pedal pressure feel ? If you have to pump the pedal a few times before it gets hard then that is indicative of air in the system.

Another possibility is failure of the brake servo. Check this by running the engine and applying the brakes a few times and note the amount of pressure and the feel of the brake pedal. Switch the engine off, wait a minute or so and then repeat the test, the pedal should feel much harder and have less movement if the servo is working.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider