6 Speed or 5 speed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 21-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Victoria

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GTV6

6 Speed or 5 speed

Hello everyone,
Currently looking to purchase gtv and wondering your thoughts on whether to spend extra on 6 speed gearbox model or stick with a 5 speed. Is there noticable difference in driveability, enjoyment, acceleration etc
Also whether to choose 16 inch rims or 17 inch - i would have thought 17 inch would be a harder ride - is that the case?
Look forward to hearing from you.
Regards, David. Victoria, Australia.
Sponsored Links
Global Mod Team
County: Milano
Re: 6 Speed or 5 speed

Moved to GTV Tech Lounge
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire

Hi David,

I would say there is not much in it with the gear ratios. My girlfriend has a V6 GTV with 5 speed box and I have a 147 GTA with six speed, although the extra top gear will make cruising slightly nicer on gas mileage etc, I don't think the performance difference is very noticable. The larger capacity Alfa V6 engines are so flexible they don't really benefit all that much - I certainly would not pay too much extra for one.

As for Tyres, wider tyres will certainly aid grip - I wouldn't say 17" would make the ride any harder. I'd be more concerned with the tyre size and importantly profile of rubber used. If you run 35 profile tyres they are going to bounce! If you go up to a 45/50 the ride should be quite reasonable.

AO Gold Member
County: South Africa

Member car:

V6 Sportswagon

Like JR said if you do a lot of long trips on the highways the 6th gear is a great fuel saver... she sits nicely at 140km/h at just over 3000rpm...
AO Gold Member
County: -

Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
Like JR said if you do a lot of long trips on the highways the 6th gear is a great fuel saver... she sits nicely at 140km/h at just over 3000rpm...
As our new AO friend is from Australia, sitting on 140 kph will mean he will rapidly not need an Alfa Romeo....Licence lost real quick, so to speak. In most states the speed limit is 100 kph with some roads 110 kph and in most states the speed limit is enforced by 'rabid dogs' and seeing as he is also from Victoria being caught more than 3 kph over the speed limit means 1 out of 12 points lost( over a rolling 3 years) , 10 kph over the speed limit means 3 licence points lost and doing 140 kph means he walks home if caught
So the real answer to this question is that the sixth gear is a waste of space and makes the car weight more....well probably
as for the 17" rims..you will probably get a rougher ride if the dampers/shockabsorbers are not up to scratch and depending on the tyres you use as well. If you want comfort then a set of Yokohama C-Drive will do the trick here in Australia and give good grip as well...might not be quite as good as Pirelli PZero Nero in the wet...but it actually hardly rains in Victoria these days and the ride is measurably better . As for the Goodyear F1 GDS 3 that the Europeans rave about, the Australian ones are 'crap' and not in the same league .
As for Dampers/shockabsorbers the Koni sport Adjustables for the Koni FSD will sort you out...unless you are a Bilstein fan...

and a warm welcome to AO Dahlen116

Last edited by Stori; 22-01-09 at 06:49.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider