Jump Start GTV - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 18-01-09 Thread Starter

Member car:

Jump Start GTV

As I don't use my GTV that often I sometimes need to jump start it off another cars battery.
With the battery in the rear its almost impossible to get the jump lead claws on the terminals well enough to get a decent connection. Has anyone solved this problem?

I've also been looking at a lead that permanently fixes to the terminals and has a socket on the end that plugs into a battery charger, this would remove the need to dismantle the boot lining to get to the battery when I have the time to use a charger. This would mean charging with the battery connected. I've read that this is a no-no. Is this correct with a GTV, or just an over-precaution?

Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL
Re: Jump Start GTV

I have something similar to this, the big difference is that mine is primarily designed to be used from another cars cigar lighter. Mine was obtained dirt cheap from Woolworths last year......However the one in the link does look handy.

This time of year I also use a Solar Charger that plugs into the cigar lighter just to maintain the charge. Of course this only works if the cigar lighter isn't ignition switched, it seems that some are and some aren't.

I have also thought of your idea of permanently attaching a flying lead to the battery terminals with a suitable socket attached to prevent accidents, can't see a problem with this.

Emergency Car Battery Charger - Expert Verdict

Have you seen the Lincolnshire Lounge ? Don't stay off the radar, come on in and have a look !

Next Event - TBA

Look Here ! -TBA

email: nige005@alfaowner.co.uk

Old radar men never die - their echoes just fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law.
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

GTV Cup 99

Re: Jump Start GTV

"As I don't use my GTV that often I sometimes need to jump start it off another cars battery."

it sounds to me like you might be trying to solve the symptom of the problem rather than the cause.

you should not be getting a flat battery unless your not using the car for weeks.

if you really cant avoid this. Then you should maybe consider leaving not having the alarm on so the battery doesnt run flat. (which you might be doing)

However if your car is like perminently on a low charge, and not being used much. the battery is probably very nakered.

prolly not being much help here. Ive been in the same situation. But in the end I got it checked out by someone else(because im bloody useless) and I had the wrong spec battery in the car

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

gtv , jump , start