First week of Spider ownership.... and i love it - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 16-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: New South Wales
First week of Spider ownership.... and i love it

Picked up my Alfa Romeo Spider on Saturday last week. It was a gem, sitting there waiting for me. Wasn’t as clean as I thought it would be (dealer said he’d detail it which it was but wasn’t a top notch job).
As he was organising up all the paperwork I was paying for my insurance, got it all sorted out. Handed over the cheque and there I was a proud new owner of my first car, an Alfa Romeo.

Driving out of the dealership I was (as most people are with their new cars) driving a tad slow, maybe it was because I wasn’t very competent at manual at the time but having the roof down and open roads, I was in heaven.
Following my mate in his BMW(he drove me to the dealership) we drove for 20minutes and then went for our first stop, the petrol station.
My first fill up…good times.
Surprised how big the fuel tank was (70L) I went to pay for the petrol. Opened my walled and realised my drivers licence was still at the dealers . So I had to drive all the way back to the dealer (20min away) to get it.

Then went for a drive to see a few friends, at this stage I started to get better acquainted with the car. At every traffic light I was figuring out what all the buttons do on the dash, and how the car handles its power throughout the gears.
This is a great car, I now started to realise that this is really a drivers car, and what a car.

Loved the power, loved the handling and loved the balance. The car was perfect.
Went to see my mates and there they were washing their cars together.(Mercedes E300TD and 67’ Ford Mustang) So I pulled up next to them and washed mine too.

They looked great at the end, all polished and looking brand new.

Then my mate went for a drive with me and gave me a few manual lessons. Now I’m pretty competent with manual and mastering the art of Shuffling, next will be heal-toeing.

Now onto what im going to do to the car.

I've ordered UK numberplate brackets for the front and back to hold my Euro plates.
Will be getting 17” GTA Teledial wheels and also thinking of getting a new exhaust on it(but the standard one on it now sounds beautiful especially downshifting in a tunnel and flooring it, up to the speed limit of course )
Sponsored Links
Global Mod Team
County: Milano
Re: First week of Spider ownership.... and i love it

Congrats on the Spider and great to hear it's giving you lots to smile about
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Nice posting

Has that new bike on Christmas Day feel.

Have fun in the car! You've the climate for a Spider
AO Silver Member
County: New South Wales

Hey Nam007

Sounds great ! Although Ive had 5 Alfas before, picking up my last GTV was probalby the most amazing experience of my life. Ive had 3 of the 1980s GTVs and have been waiting a long time to be able to afford the current GTV.

When the day came to pick up the car at 8am from the owner in Vaucluse (Very Exclusive Suburb in Sydney) for various reasons the insurance didnt become effective till 10am. So I basically had to drive it home 10 mins away and leave it outside my house for 2 hours ! Torture.

Nevertheless I'll always remember having the car on my own for the first time away from the last owner, it was raining lightly and I just felt like this is it what Ive been waiting for such a long time. I looked at the beautiful leather seats and the silver dash and thought Wow. The strange sophisticated looking wipers were something id never seen before either ! Took it easy all the way home in the light rain and looked at myself in the window reflections and thought Wow again ! Everyone gives you respect and admiration and your suddenly in a higher class of car on the road than before.

Even for the next few days I couldnt believe the car was mine everytime I saw it. Thats a really nice feeling absolutely timeless. Something Ill remember for a long time
AO Member
County: Greater London

Originally Posted by Freds GTV 2001 View Post
Even for the next few days I couldnt believe the car was mine everytime I saw it.
Yup, I remember having that same feeling and then looking out the window every half hour the day I brought it open. Sure is a beautiful car. Made me understand why people spend a cold Sunday morning with a bucket and sponge now.
AO Silver Member
County: Sao Tome upon The Grand Union

well done on your's great having that new car feeling and buzz all about you...and youve got the weather there right now to enjoy top down fun..
wishing you a future full of lots of happy memories

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

love , ownership , spider , week