Speakers on GTV - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 06-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire
Speakers on GTV

In the back shelf of the GTV there appear to be 3 speakers. Whats the middle one for? Is it a speaker or some sort of booster? The sound in my car is crap, really tinny and weak, even though someone has replaced the head unit with a decent Alpine one (about 3 yrs from new), and even with setting on maximum bass. It has been suggested to me the middle thing might be an amp that wasnt reconnected when the stereo was changed? Any stereo experts out there cos i aint got a clue
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Surrey
Re: Speakers on GTV

One possibility is that the speakers are connected out of phase, meaning the left is going in when the right is going out - if that makes sense... tends to make things sound really wierd and often very flat on the base as each speaker cancels the other out. I would go around and check the wiring on each and the head unit to make sure everything is connected properly.

I don't know for sure but would be very supprised if there was any 'booster' amps fitted especially in the location you describe...

Hope that helps!
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire

The speakers in my GTV are pretty good............. I did dump the crap standard head unit (I don't know if you still have that in) .............. Put in a Sony F5700 and that made all the difference.........

Cheers to All
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6 24V

Isn't the middle housing on the rear parcel shelf just the brake light surround.
AO Member

Yes, I think it is just a stylish blue hat for the brake light to wear so that the parcel shelf looks nice. Form over function.
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

A Vespa!

Yeah, the middle cover is fitted to GTVs which have the Aero Pack - i.e. the rear spoiler has the centre brake light fitted, taking place of the rear shelf brake light.

OP: The stock speakers in the GTV are truly appalling, the worst factory fit speakers I've ever heard, not even the best Alpine HU would make them sound any better. Get them out quickly and replace them with some Infinity Kappa. The rear are 6.5" and go straight in. The front OE speakers are an odd size, no oval speakers will fit without modification of the door card. Buy the Infinity Kappa 5.25" speakers and the SAK-1004 speaker adaptor and fitting will be a breeze.

For around 120 and no interior modifications I don't think you'll get any better. Although if you're serious about your music, a woofer in the boot is a must.

With reliability will ultimately come monotony.....

Originally Posted by Junior View Post
Form over function.
It's how you get to the third brake light to change bulbs if necessary. So it's actually functional.

Cars with the spoiler have an extended cover to hide the hole where the light has not been fitted in the parcel shelf (cheaper than a whole new shelf) and a different black 'paint' pattern on the rear screen, cars without spoiler have a cutout shape for the brake light, cars with spoiler paint goes straight across the glass.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

gtv , speakers