GTV on blocks - undercarriage support - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 24-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Renault Sport

GTV on blocks - undercarriage support

Hi everyone,

My GTV is currently off the road as it needs a little attention before the MOT/NCT.
What I want to do it get up on blocks. I have axle stands (Aldi ) but do not trust them to hold the car for long periods of time e.g. 2 months.

Other than the jacking points per the manual can anyone recommend support points on the undercarriage that won't damage the car. I see that there is a lip around the jacking point area and would't be comfortable having this lip suppor the entire car.
Any useful suggestions?

Work needed:
Remove wheels - new tyres
Remove callipers - need respray
Sort out passenger foot well leak - remove rain gutter
Remove passenger door card - loose part within (?)
Replace bulbs behind heater knobs
Replace gear and handbrake gaiters
Replace gear knob
Clean interior (remove and clean front leather seats)
Fix or replace radio
New exhaust to be fitted.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire
Re: GTV on blocks - undercarriage support

If I'm working on the car I always make sure there is a back up, so if on Axel stands I would still support with trolley jack also. Even blocks of wood (if available) are upto the job just rested under the chassis both sides.

I think as long as you don't depend on one thing to support the weight and most importantly have a fail safe you should be fine.

Good luck with the jobs.
AO Platinum Member

The jacking points are actually the best place to support the car for long periods as it takes all the weight off the wheels and suspension.

Trouble is, they're round and most axle stands have a Y shaped cup (why IS that..???) so it gets a bit hairy..

I'd jack the beast up using the 2-jack method. First of all jack the car up using the GTV's own jack and jack points. Go as high as you can.

Take the wheel off and stick your regular jack underneath the subrame by the wishbone pivot mount (not on the wishbone itself.. but if you must, at the subframe end under the pivot)

Jack it up high enough to be able to stick an axle stand under the jack point (Alfa jack should be "limp" and come out by this stage).

Lower the car carefully onto the axle stand.

It'll prevent damage to the car if you tape some cardboard to the axle-stand saddle. Place the axle stand so that one of the corners (feet) is pointing outwards (perpendicular to the car).

This method saves lifting the car by the subframe apart from the last few inches.

Then do the same on the other side. Go slow, so the weight is trasnferred to the axle stand on the other side slowly. Once you have two axle stands fitted, it'll be well stable.. so do the other end of the car in the same way.

Just go careful and use the jacking points in preference to any other point, except when you switch between using the jack point for jacking to axle-stands. It can sit like that forever..

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 24-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Renault Sport

Cheers Ralf/JR

Will take my time on this.
(Want to have the blocks/wood as support - just in case)

Last edited by Volmars; 24-12-08 at 10:28.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

blocks , gtv , support , undercarriage