Blowers take ages to come on - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 18-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire
Blowers take ages to come on

My usual winter routine is to let the car warm up a bit and get the blowers on. I turn the first dial (temp) completely into the red, the second dial (blower strength) to 4 and the third dial (setting) to the orange MAX symbol ... then nothing happens until ive been driving for around 5mins then suddenly the whole system springs into life. Am i doing something wrong or is this just another GTV quirk? anyone have a simliar problem?

Sponsored Links
Re: Blowers take ages to come on

Think it's an Alfa thing, the car waits until the engine's warm enough to start blowing warmish air round the car and not rob too much heat from the engine.

The same happens in my diesel 147 so I'm assuming it's an Alfa thing
AO Member
County: Greater London

My GTV is the same and it seems right to me, I assume it's beacuse it's climate control and the first (temp) dial is the required temp, so if the system can't produce warm air it will not throw out cold air like some other car's I've driven do.

I remember reading ages ago about a particular car being able to store warm air or something so when the driver firsts gets in, the heaters are instantly warm. How 'hot' is that.

The 147's supposed to have electric heater elements to help warm the first blast of cold air before the engine water's up to temperature. In reality it's about as good as as an asthmatic wheezing through a straw
AO Member

Hmm, had a german Alfa mechanic around my house once...he sorted my bleepers out on my 146 which was nice however he did mention that the 3L engine is prone to excessive engine where when cold, he has known older model cars to 'blow up' when the heating is whacked on max from cold, as such i guess our GTV's wait until the engine is warm enough before 'blowing' hard

The 2L wasn't as bad on this apparently
AO Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Mine come on straight away, but then I don't use the climate control function, just the normal air fans. I have to say it starts blowing out hot air very quickly which is nice in this cold weather. I'm having second thoughts about doing it now though after reading that my engine could blow up!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

ages , blowers